Ben at summerstage

• 9 Replies

Offline Bloviator40

• ... on the thin ice of the new day-ay-ay-ay-ay
Ben at summerstage
« on: August 21, 2003, 10:52:20 AM »
Last night I had an opportunity to see Ben at Summerstage, which is the venue of my one and only BFF show back in '99.  Ben did a double bill with Aimee Mann and because the crowd contained people who weren't there for Ben, I didn't think the energy level was as high as it was at other shows.  There was a woman near me who was making fun of Ben as he did his "conducting" on Not the Same who was really rude.

Anyway, Ben talked about his EPs.  He mentioned that the night before he finished work on the 2nd EP and played a track from it.  The best way to describe the song is "Ben does social commentary" - basically how Americans are fat and wasteful and care only about themselves.  It reminded me a bit of Randy Newman.

As Ben broke into The Luckiest we suddenly heard cheers and saw a couple in an embrace.  People started clapping and whooping it up as it became apparent that the guy had just proposed to his girlfriend and she accepted.  It was really quite sweet.  Awwwww..... (of course, there were people screaming "say NO!")

The set list was pretty much his usual.  I was hoping to hear him do In Between Days but the only track from Speed Graphic was  Give Judy my Notice.

Gorgeous evening.  I can't wait to see him again.
Don't change your plans for me ...

Tom+

Re: Ben at summerstage
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 12:21:46 PM »
Indeed, it was a great night.  I was wondering what all of that cheering during The Luckiest was about!  And I must say, "They Give No f*ck" was probably one of my favorite songs of the night.  They said that they recorded the show for TV broadcast.  "Music Choice" or something.  Do you remember anything about that?  I wanna see it again.

Zach Linder

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 08:19:10 AM »
Hi, first time poster, but I figured I'd have to after seeing such an amazing show.
I got there really early with my friend, like 1:30pm or so.  You may have seen me.  I was the short kid with long hair and glasses.
I was right at the center of the stage in the first row.  When Ben was introducing Narcolepsy he said he only got it right twice:  once in New York, and once in DC.  At which point I shouted out "Nothing's right in DC!"  He looked at me and gave me this huge smile.  That made my day.
BUT..  is it just me, or did the setlist majorly lack a lot of the classics from "Whatever and Ever Amen" and "Ben Folds Five?"

Offline Terp02

• Me, I just hit things with sticks. - Neil Peart
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 09:03:17 AM »
Bullshît. His best shows lately have been in DC and NYC, and he admits it a lot. I know I'm biased because those are the two cities I see him in, but he's said that on the Ben Folds and a Piano tour, the two nights that he had his best shows were back to back nights in DC and NYC, and I had the luck of being at both. The proof is on the Ben Folds Live album. Also, listen to the Warner Theater show from last October. It was amazing. He was so on that night (with the exception of forgetting how to sing Uncle Walter). That's also the birth of the infamous Pirate Joke and it's subsequent song. I mean, I have no doubt that he's awesome almost every night, but it seems that DC and NYC have produced his better shows as of late.

Then again, I'm a biased motherfücker.
-Josh

http://www.zanzibarscuf.com
http://www.purevolume.com/Zanzibarscuf

"Sell me out, Sell me in, Color me misunderstood, But I won't go Hollywood." - Bleu

Offline Mustang451

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 06:21:13 PM »
I understand where you're coming from Terp...

But, there were many factors that went in to what takes he used. Crowd noise, the recording quality and so on.

He was great in Philly, that I know for sure :)
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see

ZipDaze

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 06:45:46 PM »
Ben at summerstage....

it's true he acknowledged the "Nothing's right in DC!" line with a nice smile. (the sporadic applause from the rear during "The Luckiest" also garnered a couple smiley Ben reactions... still he didn't miss a note)

he was apparently in a great mood the whole night...

never once going through the motions... (?)

quite a feat, considering the show was one he had done over and over again in the past (mostly)

working a reference to "Aimee Mann" into the lyrics of RTS was nice

crediting New York with keepin his career going was an interesting touch as well

i'll remember this show til i die.

(and if anyone wises up to where the video is scheduled to air... by all means, don't be afraid to post)

Offline Tagg

• Missing the War
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 08:43:58 PM »
I know this is pretty much all I ever say... But did anyone happen to get a bootleg  ;)?
'nuff said.

Zach Linder

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 11:07:10 PM »
Here are my personal photos I took at the show.  Enjoy.

http://www.shutterfly.com/os.jsp?i=67b0de21b3285c41a4b7&open=1

Offline Yahootie

• No keep talking, I'm still here...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 02:39:52 AM »
Does anyone else think ben mildy resembles Austin Powers in those pictures?
I think you have too many shoes.

Grannsmith

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 04:50:59 PM »
I'm with TAGG on that one.  Where is the bootleg of that show?  It was awesome, and there were certainly too many people there for someone not to have a recording!