Ben Folds Five "Live" will be released on June 4, 2013

• 42 Replies

Offline makiko

Ben Folds Five "Live" will be released on June 4, 2013
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »

Live (Audio CD)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBG9S7M/

Track Listings
01. Jackson Cannery (The Warfield, San Francisco CA, 1/31/13)
02. Erase Me (The Warfield, San Francisco CA, 1/31/13)
03. Selfless, Cold and Composed (House of Blues, Boston MA, 10/13/12)
04. Uncle Walter (Kool Haus, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 10/5/12)
05. Landed (The Warfield, San Francisco CA, 1/31/13)
06. Sky High (The Barton Theatre, Adelaide AU, 11/16/12)
07. One Chord Blues/Billie s Bounce (The Wiltern, Los Angeles CA 1/26/13)
08. Do It Anyway/Overture-Heaven on Their Minds (O2 Academy, Brixton UK, 12/4/12)
09. Brick (The Warfield, San Francisco CA, 1/31/13)
10. Draw A Crowd (Capitol, Port Chester NY, 10/9/12)
11. Narcolepsy (Hitomi Kinen Hall, Tokyo JP, 2/16/13)
12. Underground (Mielparque Hall, Osaka JP, 2/22/13)
13. Tom and Mary (O2 Academy, Brixton UK, 12/4/12)
14. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (The Warfield, San Francisco CA, 1/31/13)
15. Song for the Dumped (The Barton Theatre, Adelaide AU, 11/16/12)

Live (Double Vinyl)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBG9SL8/

Track Listings
Disc: 1
01. Jackson Cannery (Live at The Warfeld, San Franciso, CA 1/31/13)
02. Erase Me (Live at The Warfeld, San Franciso, CA 1/31/13)
03. Selfless, Cold and Composed (Live at House Of Blues, Boston, MA 10/13/12)
04. Uncle Walter (Live at Kool Haus, Toronto, Canada 10/5/12)
05. Landed (Live at The Warfeld, San Franciso, CA 1/31/13)
06. Sky High (Live at The Barton Theatre, Adelaide, Australia 11/16/12)
07. One Chord Blues/Billie S Bounce (Live at The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA 1/26/13)
08. Do It Anyway/Overture-Heaven on Their Minds (Live at O2 Academy, Brixton, London, UK 12/4/12)

Disc: 2
01. Brick (Live at The Warfeld, San Franciso, CA 1/31/13)
02. Draw A Crowd (Live at Capitol, Port Chester, NY 10/9/12)
03. Narcolepsy (Live at Hitomi Kinen Hall, Tokyo, Japan 2/16/13)
04. Underground (Live at Mielparque Hall, Osaka, Japan 2/22/13)
05. Tom and Mary (Live at O2 Academy, Bristol, UK 11/23/12)
06. One Angry Dwarf and Two Hundred Solemn Faces (Live at The Warfeld, San Franciso, CA 1/26/13)
07. Song for the Dumped (Live at The Barton Theatre, Adelaide, Australia 11/16/12)

Editorial Reviews
ImAVeePee Records/Sony Music is proud to release Ben Folds Five Live, the first live album from piano-pop trio Ben Folds Five. Recorded in 2012 on their first tour in more than a decade, this new set - available on CD and double-vinyl - will be the perfect prelude to the band's spot on the Last Summer on Earth Tour, which will see Ben Folds Five filling amphitheaters across America alongside Barenaked Ladies and Guster.

For longtime fans of Ben Folds' biting, piano-based power-pop songs, the past two years have been full of excitement. In 2011, Folds reunited with bassist Robert Sledge and drummer Darren Jessee to record the first new Ben Folds Five songs since 1999 for the career-spanning compilation The Best Imitation Of Myself: A Retrospective. Inspired by the collaborative spark after so many years apart, the trio reconvened in Folds' Nashville studio to record their fourth studio album, The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind. The album was an immediate hit, peaking within Billboard's Top 10 - the band's highest-charting release.

Ben Folds Five consistently thrills audiences with their high energy performances, and Ben Folds Five Live captures the band in top form across four continents through 2012 and 2013. The band deliver powerful renditions of their most beloved classics like "Jackson Cannery," "Brick" and "Song For The Dumped" as well as new hits from The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind, including "Do It Anyway," "Draw A Crowd" and "Sky High."

Offline Allison

Re: Ben Folds Five "Live" will be released on June 4, 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
I didn't KNOW that they did Heaven on their Minds.
WELL DAMN. I don't even care about anything else. Originally I was a bit surprised that that the amount of shows I went to over the past year that nothing made the tracklisting.... and I will be waiting to see if this Narcolepsy is reallllly better than the one in Detroit. Cause damn, Detroit? I have never seen Darren in such a beasty mood.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
Oh hell yes!

Allison, I second your comment about the Detroit show.  Show me a Narcolepsy that was better.  I dare you.  I double dare you.  ;)

Compilations like this will always spark debate over what was left off (Kate, Battle, Emaline, Praytor would all be on my list) but I'll forgo bitching right now, as I've been waiting for this album for 16 years.  I am seriously glad to see SC&C, as that's definitely my favorite BFF song.  Tom & Mary is a welcome surprise too.

As for Landed, did Robert and Darren ever end up doing the harmonies?  When I saw them in Detroit they didn't sing any of the background parts.

What I really wish Ben's archivist would do is create a site like this:  www.livephish.com
There's just too many classic shows from 95-00 to say that there's no demand or no quality recordings in existence to justify such a project (I would kill for a mastered, soundboard recording of 2/15/98!!!!)

Anyway, just my $0.02.  Very excited for this album!

Offline JordanWysong

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
I am a little disappointed with the track list (wish there were more, mainly), but it's still a great tracklist. I was just expecting a bit too much. OH WELL, STILL A GOOD TRACKLIST AND I'LL DEFF BUY THIS ONE GUYS; JUST THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW I SPEND MY MONEY OR WHATEVER I DONT KNOW I JUST ENNGHHBVD

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:02:38 AM »
Pretty excited about this, but I agree with Allison, Landed just doesn't feel right...I also wish they included some other songs from earlier in the tour, Fair in particular tops my list...at a few of the shows the ending piano solo  and jam session was awesome and Robert and Darren were really pounding out the bass and drums as well. Some others just from shows I went to: Mess, Dr. Pyser,  Where's Summer, Emaline, Philosophy, Kate, Praytor, Army (how do you NOT include Kate and Army?) and yes I want Rock This Bitch in Chicago because it was great. When am I finally going to get a decent recording of Steven's last night in town live?

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 05:06:38 AM »
A pretty epic version of Steven's was released as a b-side during the Messner years on the Aussie import of TUBoRM.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »
Pretty excited about this, but I agree with Allison, Landed just doesn't feel right...I also wish they included some other songs from earlier in the tour, Fair in particular tops my list...at a few of the shows the ending piano solo  and jam session was awesome and Robert and Darren were really pounding out the bass and drums as well. Some others just from shows I went to: Mess, Dr. Pyser,  Where's Summer, Emaline, Philosophy, Kate, Praytor, Army (how do you NOT include Kate and Army?) and yes I want Rock This Bitch in Chicago because it was great. When am I finally going to get a decent recording of Steven's last night in town live?

When Ben was talking about the retrospective, he vetoed things like his cover of Twin Falls from his solo nights at The Vic because there was already a recorded version of the song (even if it was from ~15 years prior). It wouldn't surprise me if the tracklisting on Ben Folds Live and the live portion of the retrospective influenced just what all went onto this one.

I'm happy with a lot of it, but am pretty surprised at no Michael Praytor. It would be awesome to get stuff from last summer's tour, but I think there are at least a couple of really nice bootlegs floating around, so that's something?
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
^^ Good point re: tracklisting

I'm also surprised there's no Praytor, and was really hoping for Hold That Thought too, but oh well, wasn't expecting Tom & Mary or Uncle Walter either, so I'll take the trade off haha.

Offline Allison

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
^^ Good point re: tracklisting

I'm also surprised there's no Praytor, and was really hoping for Hold That Thought too, but oh well, wasn't expecting Tom & Mary or Uncle Walter either, so I'll take the trade off haha.

I suppose you can't just do the whole new album live, that'd be cheating - gotta save something for B-Sides and future albums or whatnot.

I am honestly surprised there's no sale through BF5 proper, Ben's linking all the same things we are. That's interesting

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
When Ben was talking about the retrospective, he vetoed things like his cover of Twin Falls from his solo nights at The Vic because there was already a recorded version of the song (even if it was from ~15 years prior). It wouldn't surprise me if the tracklisting on Ben Folds Live and the live portion of the retrospective influenced just what all went onto this one.

I'm happy with a lot of it, but am pretty surprised at no Michael Praytor. It would be awesome to get stuff from last summer's tour, but I think there are at least a couple of really nice bootlegs floating around, so that's something?

I know we have beaten this to death Allison and David, but the shows at the Vic should have been released as an album...I have regrets...regrets, regrets (Ahhh ahhh AHHH) of only getting tickets to one night. The DCYP performance was just awesome.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »
Perhaps another "55 from the vault" deal where others songs could be downloaded. I know the quality may not be as good but we're talking live versions here so I'm not as picky.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
Does anyone know if a CD copy or link to an electronic download is included with the double vinyl?

Offline Allison

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Perhaps another "55 from the vault" deal where others songs could be downloaded. I know the quality may not be as good but we're talking live versions here so I'm not as picky.
Yes. More from the vault would always be appreciated. It's an aspect that Folds Co could really tap into and make a lot of us happy. I liked when they were doing that "Songs from Last Night" concept.
Though, they always said they're release that as one big thing at the end, and then it never happened.

Does anyone know if a CD copy or link to an electronic download is included with the double vinyl?
The last couple LPs have come with downloads. So I imagine...

Offline Sebster74

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:03:40 AM »
Reckon it will be released in the UK or is just a case of ordering it from the states?

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »
Dug around Amazon UK and looks like the UK will get it on the 3rd June. Could only find a CD release though.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.