'Michael Praytor' stream

• 22 Replies
'Michael Praytor' stream
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:56:18 AM »
http://teamcoco.com/content/ben-folds-five-audio-premiere?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Woo-hoo!  I think the intro is my favorite part.

The only minor criticism I have so far of the three songs released is that the way the background vocals are mixed, Darren and Robert's voices don't sound as distinct as they could.  But then again, it started trending that way on Reinhold, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's continued in the same direction.

On the flip-side though, it should make the live performances even more exciting.  Great track btw.

Re: 'Michael Praytor' stream
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
godd*mn I love this song!  The verses remind of "Claire's Ninth," the chorus reminds me "Don't Change Your Plans." (In a good way!) Ben wasn't kidding though that this album has some heavy lyrical themes.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:02:18 AM »
Sounds good. Hanes mall is in Winston-Salem. I remember going there years ago and saw kids smoking in the mall (clearly not 18). Wonder what the story is behind this one? Glad we're getting some new (and good) stuff.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:08:59 AM »
Sounds good. Hanes mall is in Winston-Salem. I remember going there years ago and saw kids smoking in the mall (clearly not 18). Wonder what the story is behind this one? Glad we're getting some new (and good) stuff.

It's also directly next to the hospital mentioned in "Hospital Song"

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
Good one ViaChicago----I didn't know that one (for the last 13 years). I live in Eastern NC but I've been to Winston several times but luckily not the hospital!. I forgot to mention that interstate "95" gets a shout out in the song as well for those not familar with the area--but 95 is not really close to Winston.

Offline Russ

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:03 AM »
THIS SONG f*ckING RULES

I'm so glad this track is out!

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
Jazzy, progressive, catchy - what's not to love?

I particularly like the shifting focus between the instruments - really makes you appreciate all three of them as a band and what they bring. Some of Sledge's best work in my opinion - he's still got it! And I completely agree about how this will explode when played live.

My single criticism isn't with the song, but... is anyone else finding the lyrics kind of hard to hear? Might be my dodgy hearing or the lowish quality preview but they seem a bit lost in the mix. What's the first lyric? "It was the opposite of..."?

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
Loving all the new tracks so far - the previews on Amazon worried me because I didn't like them, but this is awesome!

Can't wait for November!

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
Here's my best shot at transcribing the lyrics:

It was the opposite of “Fire & Rain”
You know the song
I never thought I’d see this guy again
But I was wrong
Oh, every five years since 1972
When at recess he recruited me to
Try to kick the church down to the ground

Michael Praytor, so random
Who knows why some satellites
Come by and by
While others disappear into the sky

Good morning, mirror, break the change to me
I try to stay too close to see
That there’s a pattern in the tiles
And a fool who marks the miles
It was long hair
And this time it was no hair
Seen him thin, divorced, inspired
Engaged, then ‘came a born again and fired

Who knows why some satellites
Come by and by
While others disappear into the sky

At Hanes Mall parking lot at 5am
I saw him sleeping in his car
I’d been up all night from New York
Bumming out on 95
And we’re 30
And we all lived with our parents
And “my wife,” he said, “she kicked me out”
I said, “same here, guess I’ll see you ‘round”
(I’ll see you ‘round)
Guess I’ll see you ‘round
(I’ll see you ‘round)

Michael Praytor
Michael Praytor
Michael Praytor
Who knows why some satellites come by
and then they disappear

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Jazzy, progressive, catchy - what's not to love?

I particularly like the shifting focus between the instruments - really makes you appreciate all three of them as a band and what they bring. Some of Sledge's best work in my opinion - he's still got it! And I completely agree about how this will explode when played live.

My single criticism isn't with the song, but... is anyone else finding the lyrics kind of hard to hear? Might be my dodgy hearing or the lowish quality preview but they seem a bit lost in the mix. What's the first lyric? "It was the opposite of..."?

~A

"It was the opposite of Fire and Rain, you know the song .."

Just looked it up and it's by James Taylor, and there's a lyric that says "But I always thought that I'd see you, baby, one more time again." Whereas in Michael Praytor, the very next line is "I never thought I'd see this guy again."

Sky High tomorrow?  ;)

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
Good work! I'll chalk it up to my hearing then. Fingers crossed for "Sky High" :)

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
ben's really favoring that falsetto of his on these new songs as opposed to just going for the high notes

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
Good work! I'll chalk it up to my hearing then. Fingers crossed for "Sky High" :)

Well well, he just tweeted all the songs will be streamed at some point before the album comes out.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »

Well well, he just tweeted all the songs will be streamed at some point before the album comes out.
And it ridiculously easy to get the MP3's so you don't have to sit here mucking about with that SoundCloud thing.

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Holy cats, Batman, do you see that first comment on soundcloud?  if that's legit, I can die happy.