What the f*ck is this? (New Folds song maybe?)

• 9 Replies

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
What the f*ck is this? (New Folds song maybe?)
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »
So, I went on the YouTubes to look up the live version of Eddie Walker that isn't on my CD (because I've yet to either get the import or download the mp3 ::) ) and I scroll down and find this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y1oBXzCpCSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone know what this is or where it's from or whether or not it's actually Ben? Because I'm not 100% on the latter.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Re: What the f*ck is this? (New Folds song maybe?)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »
that sure doesn't sound like ben folds. and seeing as how its an account by a ben folds cover artist, and has silly lyrics about the "army", sounds like someone was just trying to write a ben-like song

Offline DAVID

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:23:33 AM »
that sure doesn't sound like ben folds. and seeing as how its an account by a ben folds cover artist, and has silly lyrics about the "army", sounds like someone was just trying to write a ben-like song

You know, I agree that there are parts that don't sound like Ben, Justin mentioned that the cadence sounds off in some bits, but I'm still not convinced this isn't a rough of something. The melody just feels like a Folds song to me.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
As I said on Facebook, some of the lines are pretty damn clumsy. It could be a rough sketch of a song, but it doesn't sound like anything we've heard from him vocally – even his early demos we've got bootlegs of and the material he's released sound more Folds-ie than this track.

I think Steady nailed in on the head: cover artist who tried to drive traffic to their site by posting a "new" Folds tune.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »
Yah, this is certainly not a Ben Folds recording.  I'm not sure if it was modeled after something we haven't heard, but I'd say that's highly unlikely, given the widely circulated nature of Ben's old demos.

The one thing I find curious is in the description:

"Made the notes Different from the girl who sings her version.Enjoy"

So, on first listen, it appears to be an original song "in the style of" Ben Folds, but the description makes it seem as if it's actually a cover of a track that may have been written/recorded by a woman?

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:43 PM »
No way these vocals are Ben. Absolute zero chance. And Ben wouldn't use fake drums for this kind of thing.
HOWEVER, it's not a bad fake. Reminds me of his soundtrack work. And to remind someone like me of a specific part of Ben's catalogue is good going.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
Think we can put this to rest, there's no connection.  If this song/style sounds familiar to anyone, it's because it completely rips this current pop tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjPI7uYwNCc&feature=player_detailpage#t=25s

Offline DAVID

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:33:43 AM »
Thanks guys, it was one of those things where I stumbled on it and it sounded decent enough to me that I thought it was something.

Agreed on it sounding like his soundtrack work, a lot.

Offline ads

• "Is there anything that money can't buy?"-"Uh No"
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
Its not ben - the dude is trying to sing like him and even mentions "army"  i hate this type of thing - Lenny Kravitz could do a better imperonation and actually get away with it - sometimes...

Ads

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
Hah.  Reading this thread title after listening to the ACTUAL new song "Erase Me" made me laugh.