General Sing-Off discussion

• 67 Replies
Re: General Sing-Off discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
What's up with the YellowJackets?  Their "sing-off" song and their swan song were their two best performances on the show IMO.  Ben gave them the "find your unique sound" kiss of death, but Tubthumping sounded more like the YJ's than anything else they'd done previously -- where was that before?  Kinda frustrating in that sense.

I've sorta been souring on Urban Method recently.  I thought their medley tonight was the weakest of all the groups, and like others here have said, they were out-hip hopped last week by groups who don't even claim it as their calling card.  'Dance To The Music' remains one of the highlights of the season, but at this point to me they're running on borrowed time.

I was surprised Sara was the only one who commented on the wonkiness of Delilah's middle song (unless Ben and Shawn did too and it was edited out for time), because that stood out to me and I thought it'd get them in more trouble than it did.  That being said, if they handle their country song well, I feel like they have a good shot at advancing past the next episode because they can just have Amy Lynn rock the sh*t on the rock song.  At least I assume that's what they'll do -- that makes the most sense to me.

Oh, and I don't think the "over-arranging" criticism of Afro-Blue was valid this week.  On 'Heard it through the Grapevine" sure, I agreed with it there, but you can't on one hand tell groups to "find their unique voice" then on the other hand criticize them for doing just that, especially when it's executed well.  Just kinda bugged me.

(And the opening medley was pretty awesome.)

Offline Allison

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 04:48:12 AM »
I think I agree with you 98%. If not more. Totally agreed on YJ. They sing best when they're cornered. I wish they could have tapped in to that better/earlier. But that being said, they were the last of the groups without a KBLAM You know which group I am right off the bat left. It's why The Deltones are gone...

And I think on that same tangent, with Afro-Blue, the problem that the judges are trying to identify with the group is that they - the group - and likely the judges and half the people on this message board are SO musically talented and intelligent that sometimes it's almost like they're speaking French to someone who can't speak French. Parlez-vous francais?? Because I get what they're saying. I haven't had a music lesson of any kind since I was 12? f*ck if I can read music. f*ck if i know half the terminology Ben uses on this damn show! But I can sense when it works, when it's flat/sharp/pitchy, etc. I may not know modulations (then again, all my friends in HS were band-geeks, so some of it may have rubbed off).... but I can tell when they're speaking French to me. (Despite, the real life fact that I do speak French.) They're problem is that they're OVER thinking. They're fantastic, don't get me wrong... but I don't want them to end up being the classical end of a cappella.... in the sense that "only" music people do classical. Also a generalization, but do you get what I mean? This is about selling records. Afro-Blue normally nails it. And they did tonight, but I lost some of their direction with the original this evening.

Delilah - I think their get out of Jail card is Amy. When she sings  and is near tears - she sells it. And sells it better than a lot of people I have seen. Their middle song was wonky. I normally like Kendall, and even though Ben gave her an A+, I didn't feel it at all tonight. Which pains me to say. Also, Urban Method... I thought they'd be a lock for the top four (as I said last week...) Tonight? I would, honestly, not have been TOO shocked if they'd went home. Mike is their strong point. I appreciated their attempt to show the girls.... but they don't have a strength there at all... Mike carries them. And their intelligence.

HOLY. SHIT. Dartmouth Aires. If Micheal doesn't end up with a musical career. The world is going to miss out. Seriously. That man (boy? He's only 21.... yeah, I twitter stalked him. haha) has SUCH a voice. I don't think I even have words. But if that man isn't singing in a band, a cappella group or on broadway so I can experience it for years to come.... I will frown. HARD. His voice and Scott from Penatonix are the two voices that pull me in like Jeremy from SCS's does. Compelling me to listen and totally forgetting that there's no band. That's not a band? What are you talking about?

If this post makes no sense I'm in the middle of a 50 hour work week and um, haven't slept since Sunday yet. DAMN YOU MONDAY TELEVISION.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
I can buy your interpration of the Afro-Blue thing.  It's a fine line to straddle in terms of making it your own and making the original unrecognizable, and that's the challenge they'll have to overcome if they want to win.

Might as well touch upon the other two groups at this ponit I guess.

Vocal Point -- Solid.  Just solid.  Do they have that extra element though to push them to the top to make a record?  At this point I'm inclined to say no, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they've been the most consistently sound group on the whole for the season thus far.

Pentatonix -- This one didn't quite grap me like some of their other performances, but it was still very good.  Kirstin has a good voice but it doesn't have that superstar qualtiy to it.  They're still the frontrunners for me, though things are still fairly wide open at this point.

Offline Allison

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »
i'm glad you understand what I was trying to convey. That means my early morning ramblings were not for nothing.

Penatonix - I agree. Britney Spears medley, meh. That being said, they took some great risks. And didn't f*ck 'em up too much. Which is good.

Vocal Point, agreed. So hard.

Out at the bar tonight talking about The Sing Off. (Which in all categories is weird.) And heard more than once that people would not have been disappointed if Urban Method had gone home. I am really starting to evaluate if they do deserve a top spot. From here on out it is going to get REALLY rough with the cuts. Who do you think will go home next? I think it really matters who misses the mark the most. All of these groups left all are on par with each other. I think Pentatonix should be safe through most of the season cause they are so good/different. On the same not Urban Method neeeeeds to go back to their roots and just do what they DO. Otherwise, I think they will shoot themselves in the foot by trying too hard. Next week is has two songs. AND a country song, I think they will struggle the most. Everyone else should nail it.

Offline franknbeans120

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
I think Urban Method should have went home this week. Admittedly, the YJs were not at their best but I think Urban Method was by far the worse of the two, but I also have never liked Urban Method and I agree that they will struggle with a country song but they will probably do rap-rock for their "rock" song. I agree Vocal Point was spot on and they have been consistently good the entire season. I loved Dartmouth Aires Queen medley but I also love Queen. I agree that Pentatonix were not as good  and wasn't as enchanting with their medley but not bad. I thought it was a little unfair to say that Kirsten didn't shine until this week. I think she adds so much texture do their songs being the only female vocalist in the group. I felt Delilah was good this week but not great. But I have a feeling they will show some "lady nads" for their country and rock songs. I'm not sure what to think of Afro-Blue at this point.

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:45 AM »
Anyone else a little tense watching these now?  I guess I've become attached to the groups in such a way that I really don't want any of of them to seal their own fates by messing up badly.
Anyways, my Delilah prediction was half right.  They did have Amy Lynn rock the shit out of the first song.  I thought it was lame they made her sing into a fan, but what can ya (and she) do?  I didn't feel any of the criticisms the judges did on that song.  On the country one, yeah, you could hear some pitch issues, which is too bad, because they needed to be perfect to stay on.  Ah well. Sad to see them go still.  I feel like if they had one more member to fortify their low end it would've gone a long way in terms of arrangement strength, but then again, what do I know about a cappella? (admittedly not a ton).

Moving on....

Afro-Blue: I actually thought their first song was going to be the nail in the coffin.  Everything they were criticised for doing before, they did on that song.  Over-arranged (the national anthem thing was indeed brutal), which in part showed how disconnected they were to the song, which definitely came out in the performance.  Luckily for them, they had a good second song.  They can't afford any missteps next week if they wish to get in the final (I'm guessing) 4.

-Dartmouth Aires: Judges were spot on with the Broadway comparison (Michael obviously helps with that).  Their arrangements are solid enough that the showmanship and minimal mishaps could be enough to propel them to the final.  And I DO think that energy can translate to an audio recording.

-Vocal Point: They were good, but nothing really grabbed me like previous weeks have.  I think probably their weakest showing (maybe "less-strong" would be more appropriate as it was still good but not up to their standards) so far, even though that wasn't reflected in the judges comments (agree with Ben about the first song though).

Urban Method:  Good bounce back week.  They took a risk they needed to take with the rock song and it more or less payed off (for me).  The ladies (forgot the lead's name) surprisingly rocked the country song.  Where was that before?  With how the judges hold them, if they don't slip up they should make the Top 4 (though they're not in my top 4).

-Pentatonix:  Born to be Wild was my favorite song of the night.  Kevin and Avi are untouchable as far as rhythm sections go on the show.  Their coutnry song showed they can still be good without an intricate arrangement.  Solid.

Overall though, I think this episode had the least amount of songs I'd get on iTunes to listen to (which I've done for some previous episodes), though I think that's due to the fact that groups were singing out of their comfort zone.

Also, Ben was -on- last night.  Good stuff.

Offline Allison

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
I agree. Espeically about being to vested. This is what happens now that the show is more than four or five episodes. Here we are in double the length of time... AND I CARE. I'm watching last night and actually sad for whoever would eventually be going home. And hoping beyond hope that the groups won't screw up. And then, what happens when someone will go home? It was frightening. And bad for four am (My sleep schedule is so screwed up. That's what happens when you work 3pm to 1 am).

I think based on last night the judges made the right call. And I mean, at this point, even though Afro-Blue had a misstep and Aires were a little off, you gotta send home the one that needed to claw their way to the top. Amy did sing the shit out of Dream On... however it still was just meh.

Urban Method came back with a vengeance. Which kind of upset me just for the fact that I'm so much more vested in the four other groups that remain outside of them.

It's funny that I say that, because I probably have three favorite voices... Scott from Pentatonix, Micheal (obviously), and McKay. Yet Afro-Blue as a set, usually, pulls me in. American Girl stunk. For them. The National Anthem? Okkkkaaay. I value their choice made, but not how it was executed. I think the judges finally were able to say what they've been trying to say since the get go with the overthinking. They did have a slam dunk with Need You Now. So thank god for that.

I am so upset to think of anyone going home at this point. Outside of Urban Method. But if they do next week what they did this week. AHHH. Who will go home? Next week is going to be brutal. BRUTAL.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »
Calling Pentatonix, The Dartmouth Aires, and Urban Method as the last three groups, assuming we lose one each week and then the finale in 3 weeks.

All three of them are so damn good, and their weak points are stronger than the other groups' strong ones.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 08:38:55 AM »
I want Pentatonics GONE. same with urban method.
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline Allison

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
David - will they do an elimination on the 21st? I wonder. Cause if the 28th is the live finale? Last year the finale had four groups, didn't it?

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »
David - will they do an elimination on the 21st? I wonder. Cause if the 28th is the live finale? Last year the finale had four groups, didn't it?

I was wondering about that too.  Last season that's what they planned on doing, but then they did a "fake out" thing of sorts at the end of the episode and kept 4 groups on for the finale.  I don't think there's a ton of discrepency between the groups left after Pentatonix, so it'd be really tough to get it down to 4, let alone 3 IMO, but I don't think they can do a fake-out thing two seasons in a row.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
I seriously don't see Afro Blue or the Mormons as anything the judges think will make it to the last episode.  And yeah, last year they admitted to giving in and letting America decide, but this year I don't see that being an option.  

I hate you sometimes.  

Something with more substance: They are the only two groups that are doing a *good* job of actually doing interesting things with their songs.  The Dartmouth Aires get a pass because they're amazing at doing things greatly, even if they're doing more strict covers.  Don't get me started on how unbelievably wretched Afro Blue's American Girl was and the Mormons are flat-out boring (their "country" song was a not very countryish cover of a rock song).
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »

THANK YOU.  I thought I was the only person on earth that didn't like Pentatonix.  I thought it was one of those human deficiency things I tend to have with... eh, pretty much everything in life.  I dug their Britney medley, but that's been it so far. 

Urban Method has very slowly won me over ("Poison" sealed it for me), but I'm not too terribly attached to them.

I'm still rooting for Afro Blue.  I'd love to hear any album of theirs, whether it'd be jazz standards or modern songs.  I dug American Girl because it made me like a Tom Petty song, which is a pretty huge feat.

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 06:17:12 AM »
I seriously don't see Afro Blue or the Mormons as anything the judges think will make it to the last episode.  And yeah, last year they admitted to giving in and letting America decide, but this year I don't see that being an option.

Are you referring to the finales?  I thought the previous two were both decided by 'merica voting, but last year they felt they couldn't make that last call to cut it down to three, so they elected to keep 4.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:22 AM »

TVGuide.com says that the episode on the 21st is titled "America Votes" and describes the top four groups as competing.

Not entirely helpful, so I went to the craptastic NBC website that not only takes forever to load but then has conflicts with settings where I try to click on a link to win tickets to the Live Finale.  Thinking of course that might mention WHEN said finale was to take place.  NOPE.  No such luck.

Maybe Allison should tweet Ben and ask him.