The Late Great Daniel Johnston - Discovered, Covered

• 4 Replies

DrAlexHaleIII

The Late Great Daniel Johnston - Discovered, Covered
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002MH3KQ/qid=1149170008/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/026-8178180-0171649

I got this album today. It's not a new album or anything - from September 2004 - and Daniel Johnston is, as I understand, actually still alive and relatively fine. It's a fun concept though; a double album - the first disc being 18 of Johnston's classic tracks wonderfully covered by some of today's best artists and disc 2 being the originals by Mr. Johnston himself. Now, when I bought it, I had no idea who the f*ck Daniel Johnston was. I still don't. But he wrote some pretty awesome songs and is a pretty awesome guy, making up for his overall lack of obvious musical talent (some would call his voice less than perfect and he often hits bung notes on his recordings) with deep, meaningful, touching songs. He really does seem to be a remarkable man and only an appearance by Folds himself could really top the superb line-up of musicians they have here. The album features covers by The Flaming Lips and Sparklehorse (as a duet!), Beck, Clem Snide, Guster, Eels, Mercury Rev, Death Cab for Cutie and a fair few other awesome bands/musicians.

There's a lot of awesome covers on here; some duds, but the quality is generally there throughout.

I'm about to listen to the originals now, which sound pretty good, though some are grainy because, when he started out, Johnston would record his songs using backing tapes and cheap cassette recorders (which could be heard running on the recordings), copy the tapes and photocopy his hand-drawn artwork, then sell his home-made albums on the street. Like I said, a really remarkable chap and, for what this double album cost (bare in mind I always buy my CDs from amazon merchants and it's quite rare for me to actually pay the price provided on the site itself), definitely worth a listen!!!

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Re: The Late Great Daniel Johnston - Discovered, Covered
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:20:52 AM »
And let us not forget Ben's cover of Daniel's "Man Obsessed"!

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:57:30 AM »
Holy shit - MO was a Daniel song? I know Snuzz covered it but didn't write it... That makes a lot of sense to me, based on the style of the song. Is the Ben cover a live one? Does any kind sage happen to have it and wish to share it?

I thought I'd post a few sample tracks from the album.

"Go" covered by Sparklehorse and The Flaming Lips

"Devil Town" covered by Bright Eyes

"Blue Clouds" covered by Mercury Rev

Offline Tagg

• Missing the War
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:25:35 PM »
I really like this stuff. Good find again Alex!
'nuff said.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 03:18:28 AM »
Thanks. The originals sound a lot weaker, but the story behind them and the concept is pretty awe inspiring. I'm gonna ask Django Haskins if he'll help me make one for Snuzz...