Long Piece About Bats, Stems and Lyrics

• 180 Replies

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
Re: Long Piece About Bats, Stems and Lyrics
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
I don't think I properly conveyed in my news post...

I am SUPER EXCITED at the propect of being able to mix this album myself. I can see this going down really well with the Ben Folds audio nerds among us, and I know some of you guys are capable of coming up with some wicked remixes. "Dr. Yang (Disco remix)" anyone?

~A

I would be all over that like white on rice, Andy.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »
Coke is for Coke alone, bubblers dispense city water into my mouth, Kleenex is tissue of any sort, and when we play cart-hockey at WalMart we use CARTS.

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
Carts? It's Shopping Basket up here in the Canadian Tundra.

Also:

- Soda and Pop both fly up here. Although Pop is more common than Soda. I personally say Soda Pop. Coke is Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola alone. And we don't have as nearly as many flavors of available here. Hell, we just got Fanta a year ago.

- Sofa and Couch? Hell no! It's a Chesterfield.

- Remote? Not bloody likely! It's a Converter.

- Double Double is how I like to take my coffee: Two spoons of sugar and cream/milk. I went to a Tim Horton's in Buffalo once and they just looked at me funny when I asked for my coffee that way. They're right on the border! Come on!

- States? Nope. We have provinces and territories. 10 Provinces and 3 Territories.

- President? Prime Minister, thank you.

- Traffic Cones? Pylons.

- Products with English AND French? Oui oui.

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
Carts? It's Shopping Basket up here in the Canadian Tundra.

Also:

- Soda and Pop both fly up here. Although Pop is more common than Soda. I personally say Soda Pop. Coke is Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola alone. And we don't have as nearly as many flavors of available here. Hell, we just got Fanta a year ago.

- Sofa and Couch? Hell no! It's a Chesterfield.

- Remote? Not bloody likely! It's a Converter.

- Double Double is how I like to take my coffee: Two spoons of sugar and cream/milk. I went to a Tim Horton's in Buffalo once and they just looked at me funny when I asked for my coffee that way. They're right on the border! Come on!

- States? Nope. We have provinces and territories. 10 Provinces and 3 Territories.

- President? Prime Minister, thank you.

- Traffic Cones? Pylons.

- Products with English AND French? Oui oui.

I can't stand when people say 'pop'. I die a little inside every time.
A converter for remote? I've never heard that one. I just say the clicker, like the old folks at the retirement home I used to work at. Those guys were silly! Except, you know, when they died.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
Loudness might currently represent the dinosaur of the old music industry that's desperate to compete.  As that dinosaur becomes completely extinct its possible that all production with Loudness will be buried alive with it, including albums like mine.  A Loudness witch hunt may ensue, half of the Loudness haters not even knowing what compression is. Years from now some of those albums might be revived.  Disco was Satan for years and then we discovered Abba and the Bee Gees again.  All disco wasn't bad.

You know, I was re-reading this, and this paragraph in particular stood out to me. I don't necessarily think that Loudness will die out, but I do think it is fading. It's quite a shame when you think about it. "Fads" are moving way quicker now. It seems that stuff like printed news is going extinct too, which is a shame because usually the most compelling arguments and articles are found in newspapers, but they simply can't keep up with the world. I guess that's why they have 24-hour news channels, but they just end up filling the blank spots with empty and dishonest segments just to keep people entertained. And that's not what they're supposed to be doing; they're supposed to report the news--not just any news though, the important news. I could care less what Britney is doing with her hair, or her babies, or whatever else she does. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that someday people are gonna realize this madness and go back to (or rather progress into) a time where things make sense, like Loudness in music. Music is meant to be loud. Duh. I don't know what I'm saying. Or, I do, but I don't know how to explain it. I guess Ben did it better than me...what else is new?
Oh velle.
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline Allison

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »
Coke is for Coke alone, bubblers dispense city water into my mouth, Kleenex is tissue of any sort, and when we play cart-hockey at WalMart we use CARTS.

Yay. Wisconsinites!
And I'm a 'soda' girl.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline AliKat4392

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2008, 06:16:12 PM »
I find that people who say pop don't care if people say soda. But people who say soda HATE it when people say pop.
I don't really care either way.
"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »
pop is what i call my dad.  not a carbonated beverage.  pop is a genre of music.  not a carbonated beverage.
i can stand soda, but pop is out of the question.

also, we don't have counties.  we have parishes.  so, take that!   :P
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
dad is what i call my dad. coke is coca cola, DUH. you would have to be dumb to not understand the correlation.

pop is also a kind of music, yes. 

a remote is a remote. or clicker, i agree. or that channel-changey thingy. i use that sometimes

double double? what if you're ordering a larger size and/or you're the kind of person who likes more sugar than cream or the other way around?  all you have to do is say "4 creams, 2 sugars" yes, its one syllable more to say, but its not that difficult.

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »
dad is what i call my dad. coke is coca cola, DUH. you would have to be dumb to not understand the correlation.

pop is also a kind of music, yes. 

a remote is a remote. or clicker, i agree. or that channel-changey thingy. i use that sometimes

double double? what if you're ordering a larger size and/or you're the kind of person who likes more sugar than cream or the other way around?  all you have to do is say "4 creams, 2 sugars" yes, its one syllable more to say, but its not that difficult.

dad is dad. or father. or yo, back the shit off.
and coke is not just coke. it encompasses all sodas. then they ask what kind of coke, in which you reply the carbonated beverage of your choice. DUH.

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
no, because coke is coke. there's different kinds of sodas, or another way to say it is "pop".. but at least i agree not everyone should call it "pop", it must be just a midwest thing.

but seriously  COKE is COKE. you order a COKE you get a COKE. you dont say ID LIKE A COKE and then get a MOUNTAIN DEW. BECAUSE A MOUNTAIN DEW is a MOUNTAIN DEW, which is a flavor of SODA. or i like to call it POP.

POP POP POP POP POP

WTF

lol

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 07:47:58 PM »
i wonder what ben calls all of these things. he's the almighty dictator. what he says is THE LAW.

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »
but seriously  COKE is COKE. you order a COKE you get a COKE. you dont say ID LIKE A COKE and then get a MOUNTAIN DEW. BECAUSE A MOUNTAIN DEW is a MOUNTAIN DEW, which is a flavor of SODA. or i like to call it POP. 

no, i do that. the waitress asks what i want to drink. i say, i'll have a coke. then she asks, what kind? and i reply, a mountain dew please. BAM.

Offline Jono11

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
pop is what i call my dad.  not a carbonated beverage.  pop is a genre of music.  not a carbonated beverage.
Oh, you.  Such a Southerner.  Can't tell you how many times I've been told, "Pop is my father, not a drink."  Frankly, I haven't known anyone who actually called their dad "Pop" ever, but hey, I'm not saying it's an impossibility.

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »
i wonder what ben calls all of these things. he's the almighty dictator. what he says is THE LAW.

You must be mistaken. It is you who are the almighty dictator. Even Ben himself conceded to you.