Boston, MA - 10/13/2012

• 5 Replies
Boston, MA - 10/13/2012
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:26 AM »
Didn't write down the setlist, so this is a best effort of what was played (not in exact order):

Michael Praytor
Missing the War
Jackson Cannery
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
Hold That Thought
Erase Me
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Thank You For Breaking My Heart
Sky High
Landed
Rock This Bitch (old Avalon Theater, Boston)
Brick
Do It Anyway
Underground
Song for the Dumped
Kate

Magic
Army
One Angry Dwarf

Show was at House of Blues.  Most of it is standing room only - I had standing room only tickets for the mezzanine (didn't know the venue).  Thought it was terrible - if you didn't get to squeeze to the front, you saw little to nothing.  Would probably never bother with that again.

Some running jokes throughout the night, relating to having played at the venue when it was still the Avalon, Berklee College of Music, and angry mobs/turf wars.

Do It Anyways had a comical start, as Folds talked about how in working with symphonies, he learned that having the band leader count down '1-2-3-4' to start a song has been uncool for a few centuries, yet it's the norm in rock.  So, he said they'd attempt to start a song without doing it...then he struck the same pose as Sledge (looking at each other, Sledge making a pointing at eyes gesture), then basically stood there frozen for awhile (before finally starting the intro to Do It Anyway).

The band was top notch.  As noted elsewhere, Ben's voice was in better form than in recent tours.  He played a lot of additional notes and improv fills in the older songs, which sounded good.  Sledge and Jesse were also good.  I particularly noted how intricate Jesse's drumming was, as he was constantly changing from sticks to mallets mid-song and playing with precision rather than the 'hit things as hard and fast as I can' cliche of some live drummers.  Great to finally see the Five perform live.

Re: Boston, MA - 10/13/2012
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
updated setlist:

Michael Praytor, Five Years Later
Missing the War
Hold That Thought
Jackson Cannery
Selfless, Cold and Composed
Erase Me
Alice Childress
Sky High
Landed
Thank You for Breaking My Heart
Rock This Bitch in Boston (about how the HOB used to be called 'The Avalon')
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Brick
Do It Anyway
Song for the Dumped
Kate
Underground
------
Magic
Army
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

I was located in the VIP section on the 3rd level, in the middle of a bunch of people who really didn't give a crap about any of the show.
If you're going to talk through the entire show, JUST STAY HOME !!  Some people might actually want to HEAR it !!!

Offline vosnos

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:05:29 AM »
So no Julianne?  I got excited there for a second.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »

nope

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

Sorry, got my females on the first album mixed up in my 4 hour commute back home stupor.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »
FANTASTIC show. Ben seemed a little hesitant in talking to the crowd. More subdued than usual for some reason. Either way, Robert and Darren seemed geniuinely happy to be playing these songs again. It was one of the best shows I've seen from any band in the past 5 years. SEE THIS TOUR.