"One Down" and "The Secret Life of Morgan Davis"

• 74 Replies

Offline kelbry21999

• I'm a llama!
Re: "One Down" and "The Secret Life of Morgan Davis"
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2005, 05:28:43 AM »
Disk space and bandwidth mean nothing to me. I'm just going to make the entire Rockin' the Suburbs single available.

One Down
The Secret Life of Morgan Davis
Hiro's Song
Make Me Mommy
Girl

(Give it a few minutes after I post this.)

Thanks

Offline Burtdaboy

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2005, 09:38:26 AM »
Thanks alot dude. Without ppl like you the world would b......um..........without cool Ben  Folds stuff.  8)
...and I'm sorry Mr Jones, it's time...

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2005, 01:26:45 AM »
Yeah, thanks a lot man.

Offline ads

• "Is there anything that money can't buy?"-"Uh No"
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 04:10:03 AM »
Than You - anything like this is always brill! keep em coming guys!

Offline Kenny

• kennyjaworski.com
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »
"Morgan Davis" is an INCREDIBLE peice of music
I can't believe thats a f*cking B-side!

Actually, given its eccentricity, I can believe it...

What I STILL can't believe is how Hiro's Song not only didn't make the album, but that it also wasn't a single!
it'll put your mind more at ease if you say the words of release...

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2005, 05:36:38 PM »

What I STILL can't believe is how Hiro's Song not only didn't make the album, but that it also wasn't a single!

amen to that!
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline Kenny

• kennyjaworski.com
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2005, 04:13:40 AM »
I'm glad you really agree!  Someone ask Ben about it when you run into him, will ya??

The only thing I remember vaguely about it is that the song requires too much explanation in general, as far as Ben's concerned.  But I don't think that was a reason for it being left off the album...geez, it's my favorite Ben solo tune.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2005, 12:08:21 PM »
The only thing I remember vaguely about it is that the song requires too much explanation in general, as far as Ben's concerned.

Same with "One Down", kinda... They're both great songs, but could easily be interpreted the wrong way.

Offline johnny_ultimate

• Smile, like you've got nothing to prove :)
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2006, 07:00:37 AM »
Alot of these are great songs. Morgan Davis and Hiro's Songs are two of his best in my opinion. What's up with Girl though? Just cant seem to like it... Make me Mommy is fun in a ridiculous sort of way though.
Back and forth... forever ))<>((

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2006, 09:10:08 AM »
What's up with Girl though? Just cant seem to like it...

Ben himself said it's dangerously close to a boyband sound. I agree.

Offline dranscht

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2006, 01:42:43 PM »
It's dangerously close? Like it was an accident? I thought it was supposed to sound that way... be a parody of boy band songs like Bitches Ain't Shit is for rap.

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »
The only thing I remember vaguely about it is that the song requires too much explanation in general, as far as Ben's concerned.  But I don't think that was a reason for it being left off the album...geez, it's my favorite Ben solo tune.

Okay, so here's the big question: What is Hiro's Song about? I've googled it and found a Blur song named Yuko and Hiro, but that's the only connection to anything I've been able to find, and even if that was part of the story, it doesn't quite make sense. Also, It's not quite clear what Morgan Davis is about, though apparently it's an in-joke about someone Ben went to college with.
One Down has been said to be about the fact that Ben's contract said he had to write 4.6 songs, and One Down was one of those 4.6. I dunno about that though. (I'm not quite sure if someone's already said that, but I figured I'd chime in)

Additionally, I'm new here on the fourms, though I've been a reader of the news and fourms for a couple months now. Hi there!

Offline ads

• "Is there anything that money can't buy?"-"Uh No"
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
Didnt he write or record morgan davies with the band?? i dunno

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2006, 04:31:05 PM »
Welcome, Tophat! :)

First of all, I had never heard of that Blur song; I just looked up the lyrics.  Interesting! hmm...did anybody else know about it?  Anyway, here's what Ben says in the intro of the video of his live performance of 'Hiro's Song' at V2001:

"This next song is about a Japanese business man, about 55 years old, who leaves his wife, his family, for his daughter's best friend.  Her name is Yuko, his name is Hiro.  This is called Karaoke Supernova [what he sometimes called it]."

I remember reading that Morgan Davis was a college friend? drummer for something along the way? and it sounded like one of those things where Ben just used his name (like Eddie Walker, etc.). (I think he did an earlier version of the song with Five, too.)

(Your Own Down explaination is right, Tophat.)

Also, yeah, I read something where Ben said that "Girl" was purposely supposed to make people wonder whether or not the song was serious.  I'm going for not.  I love the sleezy laughter at the beginning, ha, so classic.
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline Kenny

• kennyjaworski.com
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2006, 06:29:38 PM »
Wow...wow...I would've never thought in a million years that anybody would've thought "Girl" was supposed to be serious.

It's not serious.  It is most certainly a joke, novelty track.   The speech in the middle with the accent is much more than enough indication.  ;)