Way to Normal: Stems and Seeds! (SPOILERS-ish)

• 259 Replies

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
Re: Way to Normal: Stems and Seeds! (SPOILERS-ish)
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Thank you to the old Ben Folds Fanclub for treating me like crap so I didn't joint PFofJ.  I have now preordered from Amazon and saved myself a fortune.

Sorry to you guys who have forked out for overseas memberships...:-(
It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

Offline cadet_applesauce

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »
I always assumed that it would be available outside of the fan club, so when I bought my membership, I figured, hell I'm gonna spend almost $20 to get this CD anyway, may as well shell out some extra dough for all the stuff I get with the membership. And it's news to me that it's coming autographed!
I NEED THE JACKSON CANNERY 7"!!!!

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
I was initially surprised that things were changed, as opposed to remastering only what was already on the released album.  The vinyl mix of Way to Normal (the CD is another story) has really grown on me as a different but quirky and still awesome entry in Ben's catalog.   However, I think that Ben is doing what he would have done if he hadn't handed the reigns over to his douche bag of a producer (based on the Keyboard article) and rushed the album out to completion.  So we're probably hearing the album as Ben intended it to be, but a few months later rather than 10-30 years later as is usually the case (think SMILE formally re-recorded while Brian Wilson still had his voice).  I'm pumped, and frankly I'm glad that I held off on the membership until the last minute, because now I'll probably just buy it from Amazon.

« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:51 AM »
Overall...this is a vast improvement.  I respect Ben for standing behind the original release, but to be honest...it sounded absolutely terrible and it had nothing to do with being mixed to sound good on car stereos, it was just a crappy job.  Maybe that particular producer is great for other artists, but he simply bled the life out of this album.  I can hear the instruments now, Ben's voice sounds stronger and less thin.

Offline Saskia

Re: Way to Normal: Stems and Seeds!
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »
Yay! No "Whe" in Cologne! What a great day this is!

No what? I know about the "that's it" but apparently I've never caught this. Maybe because I haven't listened to Way to Normal much on my new headphones.
In a situation provided with maximum amplification, perform a disciplined action.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »

No what? I know about the "that's it" but apparently I've never caught this. Maybe because I haven't listened to Way to Normal much on my new headphones.

right after "such a painful trip, to find out this is it", there's a vocal slip up that sounds similar to "werg".  listen closely.  it's there.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »
anyone else anxiously await getting their mail each day only to be let down?
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline kelbry21999

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
So is it safe to say this release (2-Disc set complete with multitracks ["stems"] and all) will be available at your everyday Best Buy or Target, or would you all recommend the safe, pre-order from Amazon route?

Looks like it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9206815&type=product&id=1947759

http://www.target.com/Stems-Seeds-Ben-Folds/dp/B001P4OADI/sr=1-1/qid=1233972505/ref=sr_1_1/177-3801027-0060910?ie=UTF8&index=music&rh=k%3Astems%20and%20seeds&page=1

Offline Jono11

« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2009, 09:12:31 PM »
So I haven't been paying a lot of attention to developments on this front: have people heard the remastered version yet?  Is it worth my hard-earned?

Also, someone mentioned the vinyl mix being different; what's it sound like?

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2009, 04:57:28 AM »
anyone else anxiously await getting their mail each day only to be let down?
I have a strange feeling it may take several months to come across the sea to me.

Offline MikePigneguy (Kipp)

• Music is good.
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »
Do we know if the fake tracks are being remastered too?
Life is "Oh my God, if I tell him, he'll tell her, and then she will know I like her!"

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

right after "such a painful trip, to find out this is it", there's a vocal slip up that sounds similar to "werg".  listen closely.  it's there.

I hate that I was the first to point that out. Up until then no one else had heard it. Now everyone has. I don't even LISTEN to that version of Cologne anymore, just the DVD version.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »

I hate that I was the first to point that out. Up until then no one else had heard it. Now everyone has. I don't even LISTEN to that version of Cologne anymore, just the DVD version.
i still don't understand why it's such a big deal. ben left a wrong note in at the end of 'bastard' and you can hear robert laugh in steven's last night. all minor f*ck ups, all give the album character.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Allison

« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »

i still don't understand why it's such a big deal. ben left a wrong note in at the end of 'bastard' and you can hear robert laugh in steven's last night. all minor f*ck ups, all give the album character.
the latter two feel natural. the one in cologne just seems forced, it's in time, like it was put there on purpose. that's what's weird. where as a phone call and the giggle fit that happens because of it is a bit more charactery. IMO
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!