first night of john mayer tour 6/1

• 35 Replies

Offline Allison

Re: first night of john mayer tour 6/1
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I really don't care for Mayer, nor do I dislike him really. I just would rather have a full set from Folds. I think that's my main issue. Wait. I know it's my main issue.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 04:10:36 AM »
To be fair, the quote about being the only artist worth recording doesn't seem that arrogant to me; it seems like a jokey thing that most of us are probably taking literally, fuelled by bad feelings towards Mayer bought about by this tour. If Ben said something like that, in the same context, we'd all laugh and converse about how witty he was... Okay, so it would be true for Ben, but when I read that quote, I didn't take it literally.

Offline whenlabratsgobad

• Sham On.
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 06:11:41 AM »
**Pro-Mayer post.  Feel free to skip, I don't care.**

People really seem to be ripping on Mayer...a lot.  Yeah, he's popular.  Yeah, he has a huge following of teenage girls who would much rather hear "No Such Thing" than hear an improvised blues song.  I'd say it's a fair bet that a lot of the girls going still think Mayer's the short-haired pop guitarist he was a few years back.

I was in a blues band in high school.  I've seen Clapton live.  I'm not claiming that makes me a blues expert by any means (I'd love to see Robert Cray, by the way), but the boy can play.  The Trio album rocked pretty hard and was a major departure from Inside Wants Out and Room for Squares (which is a solid album, by the way).  Did you know he was at the Crossroads Guitar Festival?  An ensemble hand-picked by Eric Clapton himself.  That's pretty cool.

Sorry, my dad came in to talk to me, totally brought me out of it.

Bottom line is that Mayer is a solid musician.  His longtime fans might not know how to feel about his transition from pop music to blues, but that's no reason to hate him.  He likes Ben and Ben likes him (he must, right?  I mean, to go back to a support act), so that's good enough for me.

My two cents, anyways.

carryingcassandra

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2007, 07:11:29 AM »
i'd just like to add that i have felt this way about john mayer since i was eight and that stupid song started on the radio
if john mayer wants to "make love" to me, he best not be frontin'

hahaha...

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »
i think mayer's extremely talented, he's just not my 'cup of tea.' 
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

joshedgar

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 07:18:41 PM »
I think that the Hershey Park Pavilion performance in July is part of general hershey park admission. So I'll see ben, flip off john mayer, and return to a roller coaster.