A short theorem on lonely ave... (album spoilers?)

• 27 Replies

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
A short theorem on lonely ave... (album spoilers?)
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
So i've listened to most of the new album.. everything except saskia and your dogs...

anyone else feel like alot of the album cuts kinda close to ben?  think about it-- the parents of divorced children comes to mind.  and the singer of belinda relives his experience everytime he plays it-- much like ben probably has to relive the events of brick.  idk, just thinkin out loud.
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

Offline AliKat4392

Re: A short theorem on lonely ave... (album spoilers?)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:15:05 AM »
But he didn't write it...
"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:09:08 AM »
I think that would be ridiculously wonderful if Hornby's lyrics actually do hit close to Ben. 

I get the feeling that it's just the way Hornby writes, though.  I felt as if there was a little bit of Ben in Tucker Crowe's personality in Juliet, Naked.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
Well Hornby has gone through some divorces himself.

Also, if you haven't listened to Saskia you're missing out.  That little clip they played of it during the promo video doesn't come close to doing the song's awesomeness justice.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »
None of the clips on that video or on iTunes do justice (they rarely do!)

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
maybe it's because i don't care for dogs too much, and i far less pay attention to them with a slight sence of apathy, but i dont like a single song of the three that Ben has about dogs. i skip them every time. The most recent possibly being my least favorite.
maybe if Ben wrote a song about cats... or horses (Emiline doesn't count.)

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
I agree that some of the songs sound as though they relate to Ben himself, but perhaps thats a tribute to Nick and Ben being like-minded. (Although I admit that I know nothing about Nick's experiences compared to my knowledge of Ben's.) Nick seems to think that he and Ben are similar.  From The Observer article:
"When the introduction to 'Philosophy'... started I can remember feeling incredibly moved," says Hornby. "It was like: this person is a version of me, a musical version of me."
I know it's Pit.

Offline DAVID

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
(Emiline doesn't count.)

Emaline is about an awkward girl that Ben dated.  It being about a horse was likely something that Darren made up during an interview.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
maybe it's because i don't care for dogs too much, and i far less pay attention to them with a slight sence of apathy, but i dont like a single song of the three that Ben has about dogs. i skip them every time. The most recent possibly being my least favorite.
maybe if Ben wrote a song about cats... or horses (Emiline doesn't count.)

"Dog" is a seriously awesome song.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »
Long time lurker on these boards, first time contributor.  I find myself waiting for the next lyric in each song that I've listened to on his myspace page--something I don't necessarily do while listening to Ben's own lyrical handiwork.  I think this album really will speak to the gifts of both artists, which would be an accomplishment in an of itself!  And to the dog hater--"Dog" is indeed a great song.  Errant Dog never did it for me either though.  Also, whomever mentioned Belinda in reference to Brick was spot on!

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 01:30:33 AM »
Does anyone else think that 'Password' sounds a bit too similar to 'Girl' but without the irony?
Same MOR synth sound, same 'woo ooo ooh' backing vocals, similar sentiment.
Do you think he noticed he'd crossed that line?

Offline DAVID

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:34:12 AM »
anyone else pick up the backup vocals on Saskia Hamilton?  KMH apparently is on more than one track...

Offline AirHockeyChampion

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 06:37:29 AM »
"Picture Window" is Folds worst song. Terrible.

Offline DAVID

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »
"Picture Window" is Folds worst song. Terrible.

Ah, so you're here to troll, good to know

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 07:44:31 AM »
Does anyone else think that 'Password' sounds a bit too similar to 'Girl' but without the irony?
Same MOR synth sound, same 'woo ooo ooh' backing vocals, similar sentiment.
Do you think he noticed he'd crossed that line?

That never crossed my mind.  If anything, I always get shades of "Hospital Song" during the bridge.
'Password' has really grown on me. It sounds more like a smooth 70s alt-pop song that it does a boy band song -- especially love those chord progressions during the start up of the Tulsa verse.  Silky smooth.  And it of course has a lot more substance to it than girl, I'm not sure how you're getting a similar sentiment.