Merton

• 34 Replies

Offline toin9898

Merton
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
My friends and I have been trying to figure out if the mysterious hooded chatroulette pianist is in fact, Ben. Then I thought, where better to go than TheSuburbs.
I figure you guys ought to be experts on identifying him.

He sounds like him, looks like him, plays like him and has the same sense of humour, but is it really Ben?
Clicky

Offline AliKat4392

Re: Merton
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
That guy is awesome! He looks a little bit like Ben Folds, but his voice doesn't sound anything like him. Very good piano improv skills. Ben would be proud. Someone should show him this video.

If all the people on Chat Roulette were like that, it would be an awesome site. But it's 97% creepers.
"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
This guy made my day so much better.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Luke8400

• for all my big mistakes
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »
Ha, I just saw this guy on another forum I post at. No doubt he's a Ben fan. I haven't tried this Chat Roulette and probably don't want to, but this guy has redeemed my faith in people on the internet.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
That guy is terrific. How come when I'm on chat roulette, all I get is dudes with their wieners out? Where's Merton when I'm on?!

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
That guy is terrific. How come when I'm on chat roulette, all I get is dudes with their wieners out? Where's Merton when I'm on?!

your post made me laugh! I think Ben would be not only amused by the video but from reading thru these comments about chat roulette as well.
I like toast!

Offline Jono11

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »
That guy is awesome! He looks a little bit like Ben Folds, but his voice doesn't sound anything like him. Very good piano improv skills. Ben would be proud. Someone should show him this video.

If all the people on Chat Roulette were like that, it would be an awesome site. But it's 97% creepers.
97% creepers? But half of them have their dicks out!

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »
I like how on the video info he added he's not Ben folds...
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:48 AM »
I love the people in the comments who are convinced it's either Ben or Jermaine Clement. Because it's not like any other people can be insanely talented.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Luke8400

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »
Someone on the other forum I post at wondered (and I wonder this too) how many penises he must have encountered doing this, and if he sang to them too.

Offline Dr_Boni

• Giddy-up, Giddy-up, Let's go!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
Long time, no post...

In my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that it is Ben Folds.

1) He looks like him.
2) He goes at length to disguise his appearance.
3) His voice sounds like he would unmic'd
4) His playing style is the same.
5) His lyrical/improv style is very similar.

His laugh at the end really gives it away too...

But outside of this forum, the secret's safe with me. I think it's more entertaining when people don't know it's him.
"Thank you very much Los Angeles. You're really kind when you shouldn't be." http://www.jiggawattz.com

Offline Luke8400

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
His name backwards is "Not Rem." Whatever that means.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
A friend sent me a link to Merton last night. f*cking hilarious. I hope he braves all the scary dicks on that site and makes more videos. 

Offline AliKat4392

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 05:14:46 AM »
Long time, no post...

In my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that it is Ben Folds.

1) He looks like him.
2) He goes at length to disguise his appearance.
3) His voice sounds like he would unmic'd
4) His playing style is the same.
5) His lyrical/improv style is very similar.

His laugh at the end really gives it away too...

But outside of this forum, the secret's safe with me. I think it's more entertaining when people don't know it's him.

Why would Ben feel the need to disguise himself and deny that it's him? If he was really doing it, why wouldn't he post it on his twitter, telling his fans to check out the funny thing he did on chat roulette. 
But more importantly, I think it's very possible, in the 6 billion people that there are in the world, for there to be another person that looks a little bit like Ben Folds, and is also talented at piano improv. It's not that rare. However, I don't agree that his voice is at all similar to Ben Folds. Especially when he's just talking, like when he says "oh, come on!" His accent is totally different.
"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online

Offline J-dog

• How many of me would it take to screw up your life
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Tis no way Ben Folds.
nor is it Jermaine from FoTC.

But i still admire him just him the same.
J-diggity