Cologne: That's it

• 42 Replies

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
Cologne: That's it
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »
Does anyone else feel that the "That's it" at the end of the vocal of the album version of Cologne feels just a little... rude?

Here's this lovely song, and it's just as though Ben's just singing the words as quickly as possible and couldn't give a shit...

Offline Kyle

Re: Cologne: That's it
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
I actually really like it.  To me, it's the end of the relationship and the end of being hurt.  He's done.

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
I actually really like it.  To me, it's the end of the relationship and the end of being hurt.  He's done.
i never thought of it like that.

..but i still don't like it there very much.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »
They left the tape running at the end of recording the vocal track, and he tosses his hands up and says "that's it."

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »
I like it, I think it fits.

Also has the sniff after one of the "4, 3, 2"s been discussed yet?  It's like, right where the "1" would be, lol.
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:58 PM »
Everytime I play it in the car my 5 year old son whispers "blast off" from the back seat :-)

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 02:42:03 PM »
That...is adorable.
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »
I still want to know if anyone else's CD goes "Whea" after "Such a painful trip, to find out this is it". It's like The DVD version got mixed into the CD version, and Ben starts to sing "When I go to sleep" instead of "As I go to sleep", catches himself, and leaves it in there, knowing I would someday get the ONE CD that has the error.

That bastard.

Offline Luke8400

• for all my big mistakes
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
It seems like they re-recorded this one because Ben thought the original (video version) was too much of a production.  But as a result, the album version sounds like it was done in a hurry.

Do the drums sound like a loop to anyone else?  Also, it sounds like Ben's using auto-tune in some parts.  Could be wrong about both, but something about the drums and vocals seems too clean.

I don't have a problem with the "that's it," I actually like it for the reasons others listed.  But it definitely seems like a quick production.  I still prefer the video version.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »
I always wondered about that little chop too.  I thought he was saying "when," but I also rather like it for some reason.  I don't think the DVD version was "mixed" into the album version though, because if you play them at the same time or line them up in a multi-track, you'll see that they are actually recorded at different tempos.

I tried to mix the two of them together at one point to make a new mix of the song with the parts I liked from both versions, but it would require tempo shifting, etc, because they are 2 entirely different recordings at different speeds.  Some day when I've REALLY got nothing better to do I may attempt it.

Offline Prent

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »
He said "That's It." when they played it on stage in Chicago on 10/10/08

Offline Brooooke

• "I'm pulling this out of my ass just for you!"
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
and in Green Bay the next day.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
You guys do know about the "when" line too though, right?

Offline Brian Golley

• Peace and harmony, man.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »
I really like it.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »
You guys do know about the "when" line too though, right?

I always thought it was "and."   My interpretation of it looks more along the lines of that he's saying.  "And..... and as I go to sleep, you'll be waking up."  Like, it serves to add to the sadness of the delivery, that he gets "choked up" so to speak and can't say it the first time he tries to. That's just my take. Probably way over-analyzed it :P