Ben Folds - Ipswich Regent (December 1st)

• 40 Replies

Offline greggraham

Ben Folds - Ipswich Regent (December 1st)
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
Presale through the normal link (see the myspace/fanclub for details i guess)

i have pretty good tickets, they might be too close... not sure yet. anyone been on the front row before?? is it any good? (serious question)

Re: Ben Folds - Ipswich Regent (December 1st)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »
Depends on where you are and what you want to see.

If you're right up in front of Ben, you'll see him and bass, but no drums.

If you're on the right side or center, you'll see bass/drums and, if you're lucky, Ben from the the forehead up.

Offline drummerstu

• I don't have a third dimension
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
IPSHIT?!!!

NO FRICKIN' WAY! No one decent EVER comes to the Shit - Sooooooooo there - anyone up for this, the place is a dump but all you can eat chinese right next door!

Offline greggraham

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
better seating plan here (ignore the gig its for, just count the seat numbers and letters and work out where the seat is):
go here (https://online.ipswich.gov.uk/PEO/search_results.asp?search=&date=&category=4&curpage=4), choose Merry Xmas everybody, select the performance from the top left on the next page, press 'buy tickets' then you'll get the seating plan. easier than it sounds i promise!

well, my seats (hopefully) are A4-6  :) should be ok i recon

panorama here too people....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/panoramas/regent_2007_360.shtml

Offline greggraham

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:34:59 PM »
IPSHIT?!!!

NO FRICKIN' WAY! No one decent EVER comes to the Shit - Sooooooooo there - anyone up for this, the place is a dump but all you can eat chinese right next door!

The place underwent a major refrubishment last year and it's no longer a dump! And the Chinese next door is still there. I'm absolutely blown away that he's coming to Ipswich!

Offline drummerstu

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
I meant Ipswich in general! The theatre isn't so bad anymore, in two years of living here now, this is easily the most exciting thing ever to happen - The magazine I am photographing for is gonna organise an interview and do a nice big piece, so hopefully I'm on for a freebie! Tractorboy, find yourself a copy of Mad Dog Magazine, its free and is quite good and can be found in most pubs and theatres and...stuff  \m/

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
Ipswich, eh? Wherever next? Bradford?

Bradford?

(go on, please?)

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline wee_lou

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
god - i bought tickets for this this morning and i KNOW i won't get the day off.... I need a plan!!!!
I was at work when I bought the tickets, so i was really rushed and don't even know what seats I got. The confirmation email doesnt want to tell me either.
How exciting. This will take my Ben show tally up to 5 in 2008

Offline flutterbee

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Is it just me or is this quite a random venue choice, Good but random???
Front row is fine, I mean your close to Ben what could possibly be wrong about it! Seated venues only fill me with happyness when im at the front!
Oh Ben in the UK YaY ~ I got all excited again.
I hope he does some fun stuff for our gigs......

Offline wee_lou

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
ok - found my seats...

Allocated - STL,A,1-2

:o

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »
I meant Ipswich in general! The theatre isn't so bad anymore, in two years of living here now, this is easily the most exciting thing ever to happen - The magazine I am photographing for is gonna organise an interview and do a nice big piece, so hopefully I'm on for a freebie! Tractorboy, find yourself a copy of Mad Dog Magazine, its free and is quite good and can be found in most pubs and theatres and...stuff  \m/

Funny you should say that about Mad Dog Magazine - I organise a live funk night called FunkFest in Ipswich and a friend of mine has been urging me to get in touch with the guy who runs Mad Dog as he knows him and reckons he might be keen to do a feature on FunkFest. Not got round to it yet though. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the mag - don't get to Ipswich that much these days, I live in Stowmarket.

I was telling a friend earlier this evening about Ben Folds playing at the Regent (he hadn't heard) and he said that a few months ago a friend of his had, rather bizarrely, bumped into Ben walking in Ipswich (specifically outside Holland and Barratt!) Being a Ben Folds fan himself he had a chat with him and apparently his wife knows people in the Ipswich area. He told Ben he should come and do a gig in Ipswich and he wasn't keen but he must have changed his mind! Or perhaps he was looking for a venue somewhere in the south east around that date and there was nowhere in Norwich or Cambridge available!

Interesting recent statistic in the Ipswich press - The Regent makes an annual loss of £800,000. Ok, vaguely interesting then,

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
This may sound weird but... it was my husband that met Ben outside M&S/ Holland & Barrett in Ipswich early in the summer - apparently his wife has family near Ipswich and they were on a visit.  Jez mentioned to Ben that Rufus Wainwright had played in Ipswich and why didn't he come here for a gig.  Ben had no idea there was a venue but said he would check it out.  And he has...
Sooo unbelievably cool...

Offline drummerstu

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
This whole Ipswich thing is just plain weeeeird!!!

Holland and Barrett? M&S? Slummin' it or what!

Definitely get in contact with Myles Tractorboy, always looking for stuff to put in...drop him an email or something through myspace (top friend on my page below) or at www.maddogmagazine.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:49:18 AM »
Apparently he was waiting for his wife who was shopping in M&S!  Jez couldn't believe it was him at first, total double take but then heard him speaking with an American accent.  The first thing he said to Ben was what are you doing in Ipswich!!  Also weird that Jez was listening to Songs for Silverman at the time on his ipod so it was kindof like the music genie made him appear...