Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
nevermind.
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

Offline cdonovan

« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2008, 07:52:32 PM »
I love the diapers lyrics my only problem with the whole song is "4..3...2....1.. Im letting you go/ I will let go if you will let go" if they just change this one redundent line it'd be my favorite leaked song. Maybe they meant finished as finally had a semi clean recording?
I'll never make partner at this rate
Not with Jane F***ing Fanda Jr. as my date

Offline Luke8400

• for all my big mistakes
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
Yeah, we (Ben and crew included) spent a whole day on that video shoot, and many of us drove long distances.  Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for a "fake" song.  Just because YDKM is the first single doesn't mean Cologne won't be one at all; labels often pick every single off an album before its release.

I have to go with Occam's razor as far as this whole thing goes.  The likelihood that these are legit demos, demos of completely different songs with the same titles as songs he's been playing for nearly 8 months, is very slim.  Sure, songs change, but rarely do they go through a complete lyrical, musical, and conceptual overhaul and retain the same title.  How is that not really odd?  The simplest explanation is that he made up a few bullshit songs in the studio to confuse people who have no intention of buying the album.  And for actual fans, it's entertaining.  And of course the (potential) singles are there, because that's what non-fans who go to download the album will recognize.

I'm thinking we're definitely in for some bonuses with the album, though...in the form of a DVD (Cologne video and more) and/or bonus CD with these songs, and maybe other b-sides, on it.

Offline wee_lou

« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2008, 04:35:18 AM »
But why would people who have absolutley no intention of buying the album, go to the trouble of finding and downloading the leak?

I can't see how putting out a 'fake' album would be beneficial. Some people think the leaked album is crap, therefore they might not buy the record! The record industry really is up shit creek at the moment and artists need every single sale they can get and then some!

P.s great post ransim - great photos as well.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2008, 04:47:35 AM »
Semi-official word from a trusted source:

At least one of these leaked songs is very different from the album track with the same name - in both lyrics and instrumentation.

My two-penneth:
Ben's contractural obligations require a certain number of songs (hence 'One Down', 'Girl', etc), and this new album is the last one under his current contract with the label. Maybe he's just building up the numbers so that he can make one last push with with the album launch, and he's "outta here"*.

~A

* No, I don't mean retiring, it was a refernce to 'One Down'. Stop hyperventilating.
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline wee_lou

« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:39 AM »

At least one of these leaked songs is very different from the album track with the same name - in both lyrics and instrumentation.

Oooh?
Free coffee?

« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2008, 04:56:41 AM »
Thanks for your comment on my picts. I am glad to share these with everyone. My friend and I, both, took our digital cameras and quite honestly, I didn't think we would be able to use them.
Ben's people got in touch with me and my friend to get our photos. They said they wanted to use them in a non-commercial way and give us credit for them. We ended up uploading our images to them. I hope they use them somewhere. I don't really care about getting paid for them...just the opportunity to have them used is an honor enough.
Ransim

« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2008, 05:08:50 AM »
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but I think we have some definitive proof that the version of The Bitch Went Nuts that's on this leak is not what will appear on the real version.

From the PASTE interview:

Paste: In that vein, did you have any concerns about fans interpreting the track "Bitch Went Nuts" as a cheeky backhand to your ex-wife Frally?
Folds: Oh, no. I mean I would be worried that it would be interpreted that way. But I would have never written something like that or used that word for someone specific. If there's a specific person in that, it's only the basketball-stabbing person, who was someone who stabbed a volleyball belonging to a friend of mine in college. And the idea behind the song—and I think it's in the intro of the song—is that if you ask loads of women what went wrong in a relationship, they're going to give you a variety of answers. But if you ask men, especially at a bar somewhere, and they're gonna go "Uh! Bitch went nuts!" It's really more of a comment on the male perspective than it is on a…yeah, no one ever stabbed a basketball and uh, I would never call someone that I know a “bitch,” so there you go.

The leaked version doesn't have the basketball stabbing line, or the intro, so unless he's lying to PASTE, which I doubt, we've got a totally different song here.

« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2008, 05:50:20 AM »
I noticed this morning that in Hiroshima, during the last set of "Ohoh-uhoh"s, there's a bad note in the bass. Maybe it's right and I just think it sounds bad, but I've noticed it everytime I hear the song (it's right after Ben says "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright"). Also, someone mentioned the piano being poorly recorded. There's a small solo when Ben says "All around the world" that should be louder, adding to my "demos" theory.

But whatever, I don't care if they're fake or real, they're Ben Folds and that's enough for me.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2008, 06:43:22 AM »

Oooh?
Free coffee?

That and Ben had said that You Don't Know me had changed alot from the version he played Exit Inn..... and that live version sounds alot like the leaked version. So maybe that has changed as well? I hope not, I like it as is. Maybe not as a single, but it stands out from the rest of what we've heard.

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2008, 06:58:18 AM »
That and Ben had said that You Don't Know me had changed alot from the version he played Exit Inn..... and that live version sounds alot like the leaked version. So maybe that has changed as well? I hope not, I like it as is. Maybe not as a single, but it stands out from the rest of what we've heard.

you misunderstood. ben had actually changed it a lot from the exit/in at the very next concert he played... whereas it was a little more "white hip hop" before, it got a little quirker and had some more piano pounding, like on the leak. go on youtube and listen to the version played at the exit/in and then the one at ann arbor.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2008, 07:16:52 AM »
I would if I could from work..... youtube and all othe rfun websites are blocked.
All I have is the exit/in version (haha I spelled it inn like Ben did), haven't head the other one.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:47 AM »

you misunderstood. ben had actually changed it a lot from the exit/in at the very next concert he played... whereas it was a little more "white hip hop" before, it got a little quirker and had some more piano pounding, like on the leak. go on youtube and listen to the version played at the exit/in and then the one at ann arbor.

allison and i asked jared about YDKM a month or two after the ann arbor show.  i wasn't caring for the changes he made between shows (exit in/folk festival).  that's why we inquired.  he said it had already changed a lot since even ann arbor.  take that as you will...
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline gettinoldtoofast

« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »
DENNIS HERRING WOULD NOT ATTACH HIS NAME TO SUCH POOR PRODUCTION!

The most recent Modest Mouse album was horribly produced, so I wouldn't put it by him.
Sometimes im so full of shit that it should be a crime...

« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
I disagree...I think the Modest Mouse disc is produced very well.  I just don't much care for them as a band.