Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2008, 08:11:43 AM »
for goodness sake why does this sound so bitchy. the tracks are fun regardless if theyre legit or not everyone chill.

~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »
Unless, of course, you consider two songs with strings on an album so far 'un-orchestral'...
Neither song uses the strings in a way that would lend itself to an orchestral arrangement.

The instrument played means nothing.

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:07 AM »
You don't that it's a joke though.

Technically no. But I'm as confident that it's a fake as I am that the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning. I'm open to a wager if anyone thinks otherwise...

« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm surprised that the general consensus seems to think that this version of "Cologne" is going to be the album version.  I think it's right up there with this version of "The Frown Song" in terms of likelihood that it will make the album in this form.  Especially the ridiculous reference to Lisa Nowak's diapers!

Honestly, I think the only 2 songs from the leak that are in an ALMOST finished state are "Hiroshima" and "You Don't Know Me," and I think they will both see some further tweaking as well.  (The end of Hiroshima seems like it will probably get cut, and the f-bomb in YDKM seems kind of out of place, even for Ben).

Also, I've taken the time now to listen to all of the tracks on a good sound system, and the only songs that sound even remotely professionally recorded are those two I mentioned.  The other 7 songs were definitely done with some kind of "demo" recording setup, and often the piano itself is miked very poorly.  There's no way that a major label would release recordings in such a crummy state unless it was some kind of special project or live performance release.  Granted, all of the tracks sound unmastered, but DENNIS HERRING WOULD NOT ATTACH HIS NAME TO SUCH POOR PRODUCTION!

« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
I'm surprised that the general consensus seems to think that this version of "Cologne" is going to be the album version.  I think it's right up there with this version of "The Frown Song" in terms of likelihood that it will make the album in this form.  Especially the ridiculous reference to Lisa Nowak's diapers!

Honestly, I think the only 2 songs from the leak that are in an ALMOST finished state are "Hiroshima" and "You Don't Know Me," and I think they will both see some further tweaking as well.  (The end of Hiroshima seems like it will probably get cut, and the f-bomb in YDKM seems kind of out of place, even for Ben).

Also, I've taken the time now to listen to all of the tracks on a good sound system, and the only songs that sound even remotely professionally recorded are those two I mentioned.  The other 7 songs were definitely done with some kind of "demo" recording setup, and often the piano itself is miked very poorly.  There's no way that a major label would release recordings in such a crummy state unless it was some kind of special project or live performance release.  Granted, all of the tracks sound unmastered, but DENNIS HERRING WOULD NOT ATTACH HIS NAME TO SUCH POOR PRODUCTION!

I'm pretty sure the people who helped record the video for Cologne said it was the exact same version they heard. That's why it is a consensus.
I know you're in there, I can see you. You're saying you're okay, I don't believe you.

« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »
....the fact that the video was recorded seems really obviously deliberate to me as part of the joke....

YDKM was mentioned as the first single anyway, so why would they have been focusing on Cologne?  I think the video thing and this fake leak are related...but whatever.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure the people who helped record the video for Cologne said it was the exact same version they heard. That's why it is a consensus.
Lyrics seem odd, but real enough:
Cologne Lyrics

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »
DENNIS HERRING WOULD NOT ATTACH HIS NAME TO SUCH POOR PRODUCTION!

that's probably one of the most valid statements on this thread to date, imo.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I agree.

Hiroshima sounds so flat and sh*tty, I'd expect it to be fixed by his producer.

Offline Kyle

« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »
I told you guys, early (in-progress) preview for the record company that was leaked.  Remember, Kylie was finished pretty late, and Ben mentioned that when he first played it.. and it's not here.  Nor is the altoid Free Coffee.  These may be early versions he was working on (Bitch Went Nuts, Brainwascht, Free Coffee) that he ended up not being happy with and rewrote the songs later on.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2008, 12:16:23 PM »
As I've said before, someone who was at the Cologne video shoot said that the band said they'd only just finished the song (whereas I'm pretty sure we were told before the video shoot by the band that the album was finished). I remember me and Allison discussing it and being a bit concerned that they had finished the song so late in the process (I may be wrong, but the person I am specifically referencing said it was finished just days before the shoot). Furthermore, someone who was at the shoot has since mentioned a conversation between Jared and Sam where they noticed the "f*ck you" and remarked with amusement that it had made it in - slightly suspicious IMO that the band themselves hadn't really listened to the song yet were making a video for it.

I do think that, if this is a fake (which I personally think it is, others may or may not share this opinion, etc.) that Ben probably will still do stuff with these songs, hence the effort. Personally I think we may have a companion CD to "Way to Normal" as we did in the form of "Songs for Goldfish" to Silverman, or at least a ready supply of B-sides. These are just theories, I could be completely wrong. I hope that I'm NOT wrong, though, if only for the reason that I've listened to these songs so much now that only a few tracks on the final album will be "surprises" (all but "Before Cologne" being songs I've heard before live).

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
I told you guys, early (in-progress) preview for the record company that was leaked.  Remember, Kylie was finished pretty late, and Ben mentioned that when he first played it.. and it's not here.  Nor is the altoid Free Coffee.  These may be early versions he was working on (Bitch Went Nuts, Brainwascht, Free Coffee) that he ended up not being happy with and rewrote the songs later on.
I was thinking last night about "The Bitch Went Nuts". I can imagine a meeting with Ben and the label where they say "You can't do all this political stuff", and he says, "So what can I say? Can I say c*nt?". Hence the version we now have.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »
Furthermore, someone who was at the shoot has since mentioned a conversation between Jared and Sam where they noticed the "f*ck you" and remarked with amusement that it had made it in - slightly suspicious IMO that the band themselves hadn't really listened to the song yet were making a video for it.
I don't think it's that suspicious - if they just finished recording it a few days prior, they'd have only finished putting it together even more recently. There's no reason Sam and Jared would necessarily hear stuff, them "only" being performers* and all, so this could have easily been the first time they had heard the finished song.

*What I mean is, once they'd recorded their parts, would they necessarily be around the studio? Actors often don't see the finished movie until the premiere, and if Sam and Jared have no production role in the album, they would not be required in the studio when Ben and the other guy I can't remember the name of were putting the tracks together.

« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
Jared did say that the song "Cologne" was just finished (like the night or two nights before, I can't remember) as we began practicing for the video. But this leak of "Cologne" is exactly what we practiced to except there was a count-in barely audible at the start of the song.
Believe me when I say that this song "Cologne" is the real deal. My understanding of us being in the video was that it was for a "DVD release". These are Adam's (the fan club manager) exact words to me when we spoke on the phone a few days before the video shoot. With that being said, I am assuming there will be a DVD release of videos.
I don't think anyone would spend the money on a video crew only to say it's not real. Feel free to check out my link of some of the pictures I shot between takes.

http://web.mac.com/randysimmons/iWeb/Site/Ben%20Folds%20Video%20Shoot.html

My friend Todd was in the video too and his website with photos is:

http://web.mac.com/ctod/benfoldsvideoshoot/06.16.2008.html#grid

I had more photos posted outside Ben's studio but I was told I had to remove them. I guess they thought fans would try to find Ben's studio in Nashville.
I had great shots of Ben, Jared, Sam and Ben's manager. We started at around 11 and ended at just before 5.

I also did get to meet Ben's new wife Fleur, spoke to her briefly, (Fleur helped the extras learn to play the piano bit at the beginning and end) and his kids, the twins were there too.
Jared's wife was there with their newborn and Sam's girlfriend/wife (?) was there. There was another guy with his shirt off playing tambourine, who I did not recognize.
Also, there was a beautiful young lady dressed as a cat who was crawling around on the floor amongst the row of pianos during the video... she was shot coming up the stairs behind the choir too.
I did get to talk to her and she said she was Ben's neighbor and had just graduated with a degree in theatre.

Ben had his kids sitting on his lap in front of his piano before we started and was playing some goofy tunes, like he played the Star Wars theme on piano. Later while sitting at the piano, it sounded like he was starting Ray Charles' "Them That Got". One of the other extras started playing chopsticks and Ben chimed in as well but it was really short.

Again, I can't imagine this was all done, spending nearly the entire day shooting this video, only to be fake.

Note: Apparently Ben does do alot of traditional photography as I saw a make-shift darkroom and photo developing equipment laying around.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
I wish more people "in the know" would post like you have. Thank you for the insider info. Too bad we can't see all the photos.... not that I have the time to drive/fly down to Nashville to stalk Ben's studio anyways.