Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:52 AM »
I was hoping that everything but 'You Don't Know Me', 'Cologne' and 'Hiroshima' from the leak were a joke - I much preferred the bootleg versions to the leak of the other songs. Not sure what, if anything, this bulletin changes.

Bring on September...

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
I hope Ben answers my e-mail, clearing this all up.

He never answers.  :'(

« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
Bitch Went Nuts is the best of the fakes.
I agree with this--both that it's a fake, and that it's the best of them.  The lyrics are so f**cking funny, and so clearly a put-on that I will be very, very surprised if this is the one on the album. 

For a joke, it's brilliant, for an album track--stupid...

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »
Bitch Went Nuts is the best of the fakes.
I agree with this--both that it's a fake, and that it's the best of them.  The lyrics are so f**cking funny, and so clearly a put-on that I will be very, very surprised if this is the one on the album. 

There's a lyric in there that I read as a clue - "Bullshit from the internet".

Offline Luke8400

• for all my big mistakes
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »

[/quote]

I dunno.  I might like this fake one more than the "real" Bitch Went Nuts.  It's a funny little character sketch, and we haven't gotten many of those lately.  It's probably more interesting to me than the "real" first-person song, even though we know Ben's basketball wasn't really stabbed by anybody.

« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »

I dunno.  I might like this fake one more than the "real" Bitch Went Nuts.  It's a funny little character sketch, and we haven't gotten many of those lately.  It's probably more interesting to me than the "real" first-person song, even though we know Ben's basketball wasn't really stabbed by anybody.

The whole corporate, beemer, wanting-to-be-a-partner thing just seems so unlikely, although we're talking Ben Folds here, so who knows! ::)

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2008, 10:20:45 AM »

The whole corporate, beemer, wanting-to-be-a-partner thing just seems so unlikely, although we're talking Ben Folds here, so who knows! ::)

But the cocaine thing IS likely?  ;D

« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

But the cocaine thing IS likely?  ;D

No, I don't know about the cocaine angle, it just seems funny for him to write a real song about giving a shit about being a partner somewhere, but like I said, we're talking Ben Folds here, and stranger things have happened!

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2008, 10:34:26 AM »
Maybe I missed something - just because Ben sings in the first person doesn't mean it's based on fact. "My Name is Hiro I am 52" didn't make me suddenly rewrite the biography page.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
yeah. and ben's a big randy newman fan, who sort of pioneered the "unreliable narrator" song.

« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »
While we're talking about the realness or "fakeness" of The Bitch Went Nuts, can I just add this quote from the Paste magazine article:

"The cheeky irreverence that’s become Folds’ trademark is still on full display in tunes like “Bitch Went Nuts,” which tells the fictional story of a relationship that went south after the narrator’s lover goes psycho and stabs his basketball. According to Folds, the song is a comment on the male perspective. “If you ask loads of women what went wrong in a relationship, they’re going to give you a variety of answers. But you ask men, especially at a bar somewhere, and they’re gonna go, ‘Uh, bitch went nuts!’”"...

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
even though we know Ben's basketball wasn't really stabbed by anybody.
Perhaps he's getting bored of people saying "is it about your divorce" so he rewrote it.

(Yes, I think it's fake, but it's possible. And I do like the lyrics.)

Offline andrewspears

• Lying awake in my hospital room
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »
got the call from sony. nothing really out of the ordinary. i just confirmed that i complied with their request, and that was about it.

« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
So this thought just came in my head: Does Ben record demos?
People have been saying Ben wouldn't go through the trouble of recording bad versions of his songs or "fake songs" altogether, but what if they're just well done demos?

Offline Kyle

« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2008, 11:01:23 AM »
Well, I've listened through it a lot now and I really like a number of the songs.

Good: The Bitch Went Nuts, Dr. Yang, Free Coffee (i like this version a lot, never liked the other one much), Hiroshima (maybe with a little less talking at the end/cut the fake live crowd.. the song always has needed a better finish), You Don't Know Me

Mixed: Cologne, Way To Normal/Long Way To Go

Dislike:The Frown Song, Brainwascht (such lazy top 40 pop crap, I love the "real" version he played live though)

Missing: Errant Dog, Kylie From Connecticut

I think these songs are leaks of early previews, possibly for the record company.  Some are finished (Dr. Yang), and some may be fake if he had to fill a quota for some deadline so some songs are quick rips (Brainwascht?). He's said he's been done with the album at a number of different points, but was still working on it.  I guess we will know soon enough.