Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

DrAlexHaleIII

Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:42 AM »
Just a thought I had, but we've already concluded that many of the songs he's been playing live were built on the Rock This Bitch improvs that he's been playing in the last few years. Nobody has, to my knowledge, compared any of these leaked versions to improvs. Even though I personally believe the leak to be fake, I have to admit that I think it's kinda weird that the genuine versions would be derived from goofy, on-the-spot made-up songs whereas the fakes (goofy as they are) were devised outside of the live arena. Of course, most songs likely begin life as improvised melodies/words and get fleshed out and developed into entities completely estranged from their beginning point, but I just thought that was an interesting way of looking at it...

Offline PonchoRavioli

« Reply #286 on: July 23, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »
I think Dr. Yang sounds alot like Heist from Over the Hedge the chorus are almost identical. I also think that part of The Way to Normal sounds like the Tokyo radio promo from Songs for Goldfish.

« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
I guess everyone has seen the similarities between Hiroshima and Elton John's Bennie and the Jets with the pounding piano beat and fake audience sounds.

Offline Brian Golley

• Peace and harmony, man.
« Reply #288 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
I guess everyone has seen the similarities between Hiroshima and Elton John's Bennie and the Jets with the pounding piano beat and fake audience sounds.
Yeah it's the first thing you think of, especially considering the song's subtitle. Ben's little homage I guess. I think this leak is brilliantly funny. I laughed out aloud at Brainwascht. How does everyone fair You Don't Know Me's charting ability? I usually don't even consider it but I think song may just be a hit.

Offline Laura

« Reply #289 on: July 23, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »
i really like YDKM. i think it definitely has potential to chart pretty high.
I almost gave in to positive thinking, but sarcasm came to the rescue

Offline Dr_Boni

• Giddy-up, Giddy-up, Let's go!
« Reply #290 on: July 23, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
Also, it was mentioned somewhere else...

But http://youtube.com/watch?v=K9zMizbLHYk = Brainwascht

And Ben was producing Amanda Palmer's new CD.
"Thank you very much Los Angeles. You're really kind when you shouldn't be." http://www.jiggawattz.com

Offline gettinoldtoofast

« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »
I disagree...I think the Modest Mouse disc is produced very well.  I just don't much care for them as a band.

Actually, I thought it was over-produced, not poorly produced. It's over-produced especially compared to their older albums which are so much better than both albums produced by Herring, even though Good News was great.

But yeah, Ben Folds leak. The only song I liked was You Don't Know Me, and Bitch Went Nuts made me laugh.
Sometimes im so full of shit that it should be a crime...

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2008, 06:23:30 PM »
I disagree...I think the Modest Mouse disc is produced very well.  I just don't much care for them as a band.

Actually, I thought it was over-produced, not poorly produced. It's over-produced especially compared to their older albums which are so much better than both albums produced by Herring, even though Good News was great.

But yeah, Ben Folds leak. The only song I liked was You Don't Know Me, and Bitch Went Nuts made me laugh.
You didn't like Cologne??????  >:(

« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
i didn't like cologne, i think the lyrics are poorly written and completely trite

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2008, 06:43:44 PM »
Musically though it's wonderful. I'm hoping that it's not quite the finished version, lyrically, but if it is I still will play it as loudly as I do now.

I've grown to love the ending, with all them bums and HAs.  \m/

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »
actually, dr yang is a fun one even though it lacks like a real solo fun piano part... probably my favorite of the songs i don't believe are real.
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

Offline cdonovan

« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »
I'm hoping that it's not quite the finished version, lyrically, but if it is I still will play it as loudly as I do now..  \m/

Do you guys remember how bad the lyrics were to army in the spare reels section of the sessions dvd when he was recording it in the studio?
He called that song "completed" and as we all know it was much improved on messner!

Hopefully its the same thing here.
ps. I really love the ending too!  \m/
I'll never make partner at this rate
Not with Jane F***ing Fanda Jr. as my date

Offline Laura

« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
i'm sure that the songs will be cleaned up before they go on the album. i think somebody posted before about the bad note in hiroshima, and stuff like that would have to be fixed
I almost gave in to positive thinking, but sarcasm came to the rescue

« Reply #298 on: July 25, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
i'm sure that the songs will be entirely changed into beautiful masterpieces that rival the quality of any pre-solo era release before they go on the album. i think somebody posted before about the bad note in hiroshima, and stuff like that would have to be fixed

i fixed it for you

« Reply #299 on: July 25, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
i'm sure that the songs will be cleaned up before they go on the album. i think somebody posted before about the bad note in hiroshima, and stuff like that would have to be fixed

yeah true, but there was that bad note jared hit in bastard that they decided to keep in that song