Mysterious New Songs?

• 317 Replies

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
Re: Mysterious New Songs?
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
I don't even think Hiroshima is legit, I think we'll get a more studio-style recording without the weird stuff at the start and end. Maybe even the same with the other 'legit' ones - same songs but different takes.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »
Finally getting a listen...... You Don't know me sounds right, I can see it being album worthy... Brainwascht? I dunno.... Why is this not the Brainwashed we know and love?

It's still Ben and he is God so he can do no wrong. HEH, shit pies.

I'll have to give Cologne another listen..... Free Coffee has to be a joke, or somehting.

« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
I don't even think Hiroshima is legit, I think we'll get a more studio-style recording without the weird stuff at the start and end. Maybe even the same with the other 'legit' ones - same songs but different takes.

Ben recorded audience noise for the album release of Hiroshima at recent concerts so it would sound like a live track.  Even though it sounds a bit starnge I'm pretty sure this is pretty close to the version that will be released.
Here's a recording of it:
http://www.fishyrecordings.com/benfolds/2008.03.02_-_Iowa_City,_IA/Ben%20Folds%20-%202008.03.02%20-%2004%20-%20Recording%20for%20Hiroshima.mp3
http://www.last.fm/user/BadMullet

i figure they don't care anymore and now they blow donkey dicks

Offline Luke8400

• for all my big mistakes
« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
Honestly...why are we still debating this?

Brainwascht, Free Coffee, Bitch Went Nuts, Way to Normal (which doesn't seem to be related to Effington at all except for the title)...all 100% jokes.  There's no question about most of these, the lyrics are terrible.  Bitch Went Nuts is the best of the fakes.

Dr Yang, not sure about.  The Frown Song is b-side material, if that.  It sounds like wankery to me though.  Cologne, You Don't Know Me, and probably Hiroshima are legit.  But that's it.

« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2008, 07:04:34 PM »
Hey, I'm new here and I wanted to say on the mysterious new songs, specifically "Cologne", that this is the real deal. I was lucky enough to be in Ben's music video of this song which was shot in his studio in Nashville in June and this is the song we did for his new video.
I am in the background choir. You can see me in the very short video clip on Jared's myspace website as we rehearse the video. I'm the guy with the longest hair.
Also, I took some photos between shoots... here is my link:

http://web.mac.com/randysimmons/iWeb/Site/Ben%20Folds%20Video%20Shoot.html
or try:

ttp://web.mac.com/randysimmons/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
Enjoy!
Thanks.
PS I should point out that we had an absolute blast working with Ben, Jared and Sam and the video crew.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2008, 10:26:48 PM »
Awesome. I do like the song.
Awesome pictures, looks like it was an awesome time.

I'm awesomely tired so I'm off to bed.

Awesome.

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2008, 12:23:42 AM »
Thought about Cologne: the people who were at the studio for the video... didn't someone say they'd only just finished that song? I recall that a few of us were intrigued as how they were STILL working on album tracks that late...  Could that be part of the prank - making a video for one of the songs that they had recorded as a joke, to make us think this link was more legit?

That said, Cologne is clearly one of the best songs we have here...

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2008, 12:41:30 AM »
I thought the reg spec track is legit but the rest we'll get other versions/songs altogether.

There stuck my neck out, now lets just watch this space!
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »
i liked all of the so-called joke versions of the songs more than the boots i have heard.

the joking manner of the lyrics is better than some of the other stuff he's penned...

that being said, i enjoyed you don't know me, cologne isn't appealing to me in any way, and i always thought he was joking about crowd noise in hiroshima, because that is potentially one of the most cheesy things to put in a song.

also, free coffee final rules

« Reply #219 on: July 21, 2008, 07:29:28 AM »
I don't think anyone posted this yet, since it just happened ten minutes ago, but Ben Folds' Myspace posted this bulletin at 11:18:

And I quote....

LONG AWAITED FOLLOW UP TO SONGS FOR SILVERMAN FEATURES RAUCOUS TRACKS, TRADEMARK HUMOR

Epic Records is proud to announce the release of the much-anticipated new album from Ben Folds, WAY TO NORMAL, on September 30, 2008. The album, Folds' third as a solo artist since the break up of the Ben Folds Five in 2000, was mostly recorded at his studio in Nashville and produced by Dennis Herring (Elvis Costello, Modest Mouse, The Hives). Featuring Folds on vocals and piano, Way to Normal also features long-time bassist Jared Reynolds and drummer Sam Smith as well as a guest vocal from indie pop heroine Regina Spektor on the album's first single, "You Don't Know Me.
"

Way to Normal is an exuberant, raucous, and sometimes profane mix of sure-fire crowd-pleasers ("Hiroshima," "Bitch Went Nuts," and the frenetically fuzzed-out "Dr. Yang"), cheerful snark-fests ("The Frown Song," "Brainwascht"), and thoughtful, moving ballads ("Cologne," "Kylie From Connecticut") that Folds wrote at the end of 2007 following the finalization of a two-year divorce.

But it should not be assumed that Way to Normal is Folds' version of Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear or Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks (though Folds says that in the early stages of recording he came close to calling the album "Blood on the Keyboard").

"The songs are not topical," Folds says. "I was not interested in making a record about the D-word. I got all that stuff out of my system on the last record [2005's pensive Songs for Silverman], which was deliberately stoic. This new album is really about me being free, which is why it feels cathartic and expressive. It's about me coming back to being myself." (Hence the title.) "I came out of the courthouse, kissed the ground, and walked straight into the studio. I felt like a bottle of champagne that had been shaken for 18 months and popped open in the studio. That's why this record has so much energy.
"

Ben Folds has been performing at many summer festivals this year, and will continue to tour worldwide in support of Way To Normal throughout the fall and into 2009.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2008, 07:39:21 AM »
"I came out of the courthouse, kissed the ground, and walked straight into the studio. I felt like a bottle of champagne that had been shaken for 18 months and popped open in the studio. That's why this record has so much energy."

Wow. Take THAT Frally. Jesus.

Um, that still doesn't mean that these tracks are the FINAL recordings.

And Kylie, CONFIRMED!!  :o

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

« Reply #221 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:21 AM »
Wait, wait, wait..... You Don't Know me is the single??????????

« Reply #222 on: July 21, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
any chance THAT is a joke too?? I'm not sure. It's on the .com too.

« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
If it is a joke, they're going all out for it.

If not, then damn.

Offline greggraham

« Reply #224 on: July 21, 2008, 07:56:32 AM »
As I said in the other thread, this to me is more confirmation that (as i've been saying) the leaked songs are probably legit. They even spelt Brainwascht the same and stuff. Hmm, we'll see i guess. It makes more sense that Ben kept playing early demo's live up till recently and rewrote them for the album than composing new songs just for a fake leak. Doesn't it?!