Wolves (now with recording - see page 3)

• 32 Replies

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
Wolves (now with recording - see page 3)
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »
First thing first - Alex: yes I did.

Setlist was simmilar to the other gigs. Solo part was Fred Jones and Eddie Walker. Will post a full setlist when I can get it all sorted unless someone beats me to it.

Crowd were really into it, and there was one heckler who Ben ended up writing a song about. Narcolepsy was aces, as was Underground.

Can't think of much else right now, head still reeling, shall write up a proper piece in minute detail tommorow because I can. And because Anna demands it. And you disobey Anna at your own peril *hides*

DrAlexHaleIII

Re: Wolves
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »
Just got back. Even though it was a standard setlist from Ben and the boys, I enjoyed it. It just made it easier to remember! I also wrote down Eef's setlist. Both were on top form (I've not seen Eef before, but I am a fan, and I thought Ben was better than last time. He made eye contact with me many, many times...). I was right at the very front. Spotted Miles after, in the foyer, but he went just after I texted him (got ushered out by a bouncer). Also met a Suburbs lurker called John after, who knew of me. Haha... Anyway, here's a better thingee:

We arrived at around 6:10; my dad had made me drive, which I dreaded, because I'm not a confidant driver and envisioned myself driving off at the wrong exit at one of the roundabouts and not making it. Fortunately, traffic was on our side and there were no major mishaps. When we got there, there were a fair few early arrivers, though nobody seemed to be structured into any sort of queue. This proved beneficial, and, despite fiascos with the doors (nobody knew which were opening and the bouncers delighted in keeping us in anticipation, as always...) we managed to secure three places at the front for me, Neil and dad. I went off and got us some drinks and stuff, then we setlled into our nest for the evening.

Eef came on earlier than I'd envisioned - around 7:45 (doors were 7). The place had filled up quite quickly and he got a pretty good reception. I don't own every Clem Snide album, so not every title is accurate, but his set was:

1. Crazy Train (I believe that's its name - theme from The Osbournes)
2. Fill me with your light
3. Well
4. Jews for Jesus Blues
5. Buffalo(?)
6. I love the Unknown
7. I wasn't really drunk (I was just pretending)
8. The party is over(?)
9. Beautiful (dedicated to Ben)
10. The Ballad of David Icke (accoustic)

I got some awesome photos of him:

Oh, yeah. And I met him.

(I actually look terrible there because it was taken after the gig when I'd been banging my head a lot and my hair was in a totally un-natural shape... I've enhanced part of my hair to reduce my stupid-looking-ness)

Anyway... Eef was awesome and really nice. He was working merch afterwards, and I had a chat with him about Snuzz (CS toured with Ben when Snuzz was in his band). It was quite cool.

Back to the show, Ben and the boys came on to The Final Countdown. The set was, as Deano said, very standard for this tour. Nonetheless:

1. Theme from Dr. Pyser
2. Trusted
3. Gone
4. Rock this Wolverhamption Bitch (11 fingers and 11 toes)
5. All you can eat (Asda)
6. Jesusland
7. Learn to Live
8. Bastard
9. Still fighting it
10. You to thank
11. Losing Lisa
12. Landed
13. The smart heckler ruined my life (heart-touching improv aimed at a heckler who kept interupting Ben's speech about Bitches ain't shit)
14. Bitches ain't shit
----BEN SOLO----
15. Fred Jones, Part 2
16. Eddie Walker (preceeded by a story about the guy it was based on and a song HE wrote about his girlfriend - who had taken out a restraining order on him - that had one lyric: "Virginia")
-------------------------
17. Narcolepsy (with the shit-your-pants note)
18. Army (without intro)
19. Kate
20. Such Great Heights
21. Zak and Sara
22. Underground

----ENCORE----
23. Not the Same
24. One angry dwarf

It seems like quite a short set, but it lasted some 2 hours... Very glad he did Eddie... And he did Army AND NTS... I didn't notice that in any of the other sets from this tour...

It was all rather amazing. The only annoying part was Neil singing... he has a terrible singing voice that has a lot of bass and he didn't really know any words... Hardly ideal for SFI... Meh, at least he tried.

Anyway, have some pics:

Didn't get any good ones of Sam, because the drums blocked his face!

Afterwards, we tried to find him in the venue and literally looked everywhere we could go, but to no avail...

Then we went outside and waited by the tour bus for half an hour and met him.

There's me and Ben...

Neil and Ben (interestingly, Neil has met every artist he's ever seen headlining live!!! He's only been to three shows - all with me - but one was this and another The Flaming Lips...)

Our Suburbs-lurking friend John, who then challenged Ben to a fight (Ben unfortunately had to decline).

I have no idea who this is, but she waited with us and Ben asked me to take her picture. I figure, posting it here can't hurt... If you know her, pass it on!

I also took a little video of Ben talking to her... I was gonna ask him to record a message for me, but we ran out of time. We did, however, also chat about Snuzz... Hehe...

I felt a bit bad after, 'cause my dad is quite ill, but he was a good sport and let us wait, out in the cold. Thanks dad!

Ben finally signed my charicature of him at the piano. Result. I gave him a copy to take home and said that if he didn't want it, he could throw it away or whatever. He seemed to want it. :)

All in all, a great night! Thanks Ben!

Offline Allison

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:57:01 PM »
Okay, has no one else said this..... NEW GLASSES??

They're really shiny. And different shaped. And. Hum. I'm so partial to the old ones. Probably just because those are the ones I met Ben in, in a music sense of the word... in real life too, but that's not what I meant.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline GMM

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:27:42 PM »
BEST. GIG. EVER. Ever ever ever.

And now, off to school after only four hours of sleep.

More later.

Offline Jwade

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 01:08:54 AM »
Shiiiit I really wish I'd waited around an extra half hour but had to get home.. Would have liked to meet the guy.. Nevermind

Before the gig Jared came out for a smoke.. No one seemed to notice but a few people.. Me and my sister and mate were too shy to go over and get a signing and talk with him.. I guess he valued his little time before the gig anyway.. But Ben came round the side door and waved at us!! Mainly because my sister made some high pitched squeal akin to the words of 'OMG thats Benfolzzz!!'   That was funny...

Anyways I was at the front.. I was the large beefy guy ina  black coat with long blonde hair.. I had a digital SLR camera that was later confiscated during the Clem Snide set.. I was gutted that I couldnt use it as it's hardly THAT professional.. So I had to stick to a sh*tty canon digitul ixus rather than the EOS400d that I had to piece togethor in the gig.. I felt so jealous of that press guy with the full frame camera getting some nice shots upfront past the barriers..

The setlist was great! Highlight for me was Eddie Walker and UnderGround.. Narcolepsy and also Kate.... Nice variations.. Crowd seemed to like it.. That heckler.. If he was serious then f*ck him.. I like it when Ben talks.. at least we get some insight..

But yeah overrall it was kickass.. Collected camera at the end.. Bought a Tee and then went home.. Would have liked to have stayed and got signings as I had a huuge picture of Ben Folds Live and a SFS special edition CD to be signed.. But nevermind.. Maybe when he's back here in a year or so's time..   *sighs*

I'll post some pictures when I get them sorted.. But the quality will be degraded somewhat... But I can link to my deviant art where I shall post higher res clem snide pictures as I snapped about 10 or so pictures before the security guard was on my ass..

adios!

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:00 AM »
I'm really pleased with how my pictures turned out. They're possibly my best ever gig pictures, aside from some from an instore gig the other week that I wasn't really all that bothered about... That sucks about your camera, Jwade. I saw the bouncers doing something over to the left and I thought "Shit, they're confiscating cameras!" so I hid mine for a bit... They disappeared after Eef's set, but, during it, everytime a flash went off, the bouncer near me looking up to try and see where it came from, so I had to be careful...

I forgot to mention, after the show, when me and all of the other gigs were stood by the bus, as Ben was walking down, nobody seemed to know what to do, so I gave him a British salute. He laughed, and responded with the American variation (by these, I do mean proper salutes and not euphamisms for V signs or middle fingers). Then he went to shake my right hand with his left and we got in a bit of a muddle. Hehe.

Gosh it was fun...

Gosh I'm tired...

Offline AnnaWaits

• "The people have spoken!"
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:14:54 AM »
Thanks for all the stories guys, and yes, I expect many more details from you Dean :)

Yeah, I noticed they're new glasses too...
So much time, so little to say...

Offline Allison

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:22:58 AM »
I just feel like his eyes aren't centered in these lenses. Is that a weird thing to be picking up on?

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 02:52:37 AM »
Yes. But I think I see what you mean, though, hehe...

Offline Jwade

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 03:28:27 AM »
Yeah the security was quite skittish although it seemed to die down in the Ben set.. Maybe they thought they got all the cameras after that..

But I was bit gutted I couldnt get some 10 Megapixel shots... instead I got measly 3 megapixel shots with lame flash... But if it wasnt for that backup plan I wouldnt have any!

Ooooh well!

Just seeing the guy a few feet away from me was a great experience.. And the little wave he did as he went in...

I really cant stop listening to Eddie Walker now.. hahah especially that version from the BFLive dvd.. Thats ubercool...

Offline Allison

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 03:35:09 AM »
Let us compare....

Hum, I think it's just the general shape that doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, jealous of Eddie Walker. Boo. Boooo. I mean, yay for you, boo for me. Perhaps I shall yell for it. Or ask, again.

Offline Damian

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 05:49:38 AM »
Bit busy at work to write much now but yes, heck of a gig.  Worth driving to Wolves then back to Bristol, getting back at 1am and starting work at 7.15am for.  Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

(And a top heckler putdown indeed!)

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »
I think the heckler continued to yell for Bitches during the song about him...

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 07:45:38 AM »
One funny bit:

Ben: "...I realised I've never put the word 'bitch' into a song myself"

Regular Ben Folds Fan: "What about Bitches Ain't Shit and Rock this Bitch?"
Geeky Ben Folds Fan: "Hey, Song for the Dumped dude!"
Super-geeky Ben Folds Fan: Keeps quiet but is thinking "They are covers/improvs and Darren wrote the chorus"

DrAlexHaleIII

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »
Hehe, too true. Though, technically, with SFTD and BAS, Ben could have written the word out, but decided to keep it in... Either way, I was disappointed that we didn't get to hear the rest of Ben's story... He was getting at something about writing a hit song and one of his best melodies, etc., before the assh*le interupted...

Why did people yell for "Rock this Bitch" AFTER it was played?

I wanted to yell for "Half Asleep". In fact, before Ben came on, me and Neil "practiced" yelling it at an empty spot on the stage.