The Suburbs... A Cappella?

• 29 Replies

Offline Saskia

Re: The Suburbs... A Cappella?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 05:00:16 PM »
Don't Change Your Plans would be fun. Lots of really interesting harmony.
In a situation provided with maximum amplification, perform a disciplined action.

Offline Fromasta Flex

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
Don't Change Your Plans would be fun. Lots of really interesting harmony.

word.  I had my eye on that one, or anything from Reinhold.  Lots of fun songs on there.
Currently writing my first album....hopefully will record it soon.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
Oh hells yeah! I'm up for this!!!  ;D

Doing 'Rockstar' would be... interesting. Lots and lots and lots of ba-da-ba's. hahaha.
I'm down for 'Rockstar', even though ben doesn't like it anymore it's one of my favorites of his.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 09:40:51 AM »
We're a way off getting the specifics down, but if I know what we're working with (numbers of voices and roughly where they're pitched) I'm happy to give arranging a go.

As for song - I can hear both Narcolepsy and Rockstar working fairly straightforwardly. DCYP will be harder to nail. More suggestions welcome, and maybe someone can organise a vote?

But don't let me take over - if anyone else wants to arrange, or collaborate on it, then lets do it!

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »
I was thinking about Narcolepsy, and that might be hard to do the base line (at least for me, i cant change a whole octive that well.)
I think Adelaide would be awesome and simple enough.
I would love to take a swing, but im really not that good, i woudl have to accompany teh voices ( I cant read sheet music and make it come out my mouth...) but i can match a tone well enough and it comes out an octave or two lower at certiain times of day.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 10:35:04 AM »
I was thinking about Narcolepsy, and that might be hard to do the base line (at least for me, i cant change a whole octive that well.)
I would love to take a swing, but im really not that good, i woudl have to accompany teh voices ( I cant read sheet music and make it come out my mouth...) but i can match a tone well enough and it comes out an octave or two lower at certiain times of day.
if you're talking piano bass then yea it changes octaves frequently, but for the song robert just rides that C on the A string. It's not that low.

Adelaide I had not thought about, that's a great suggestion.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

Offline Saskia

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
If people are concerned about their voices, I have Melodyne and can fix any pitch issues that might come up.
In a situation provided with maximum amplification, perform a disciplined action.

Offline MikePigneguy (Kipp)

• Music is good.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
if you're talking piano bass then yea it changes octaves frequently, but for the song robert just rides that C on the A string. It's not that low.

Or one person could do the lower octave note while another person could do the higher octave note. It doesn't have to be one person
Life is "Oh my God, if I tell him, he'll tell her, and then she will know I like her!"

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »

Or one person could do the lower octave note while another person could do the higher octave note. It doesn't have to be one person

This.

Well, since I was the one who came up with the idea, I guess it would be fair if I put some imput into it. I've never arranged a song before, but I do have formal music training (Several years of voice). I can read and write music, and I have some good ideas for Narcolepsy. Plus I already know how to play that on piano, so I'm familar with the song itself.. I think if we create a similar arrangement for that as the WASO performance, with the tenor, I think that'd be f*cking mindblowing and simple to do.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

Offline Andy

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 02:44:03 AM »
Re-listened to the WASO performance - I think a different arrangement would work better.

In terms of recording, I suggest the arrangement is done as a MIDI file with different voices on different  channels - that was an individual channel (i.e. voice) can be sent out and whoever is singing that part can learn it super-easy by singing along.

~A

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:26 AM »
Re-listened to the WASO performance - I think a different arrangement would work better.

In terms of recording, I suggest the arrangement is done as a MIDI file with different voices on different  channels - that was an individual channel (i.e. voice) can be sent out and whoever is singing that part can learn it super-easy by singing along.

~A
this is basically what ben did in his studio. except he was using a piano and not a midi.

Offline Andy

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 05:27:16 AM »
He probably stole that off me.

~A

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
Hmmm, I like that. I have a midi keyboard. Just gotta get the right cords for it to be hooked up to my compy. Wanna work on an arrangement, Andy and or anyone else?

Offline Aaron

• "I'm pissed off but I'm too polite"
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 03:32:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool to do a more obscure Ben song like In The Breeze. It's got those nifty vocal harmonies which would make it a pretty neato choice.
HOLY CRAP!!!!

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
Hmm, also a good choice! Should we take a vote, then?