Ryman Auditorium 4-7-09

• 25 Replies

Offline NKR89

Ryman Auditorium 4-7-09
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »
Ben was glad to be home, to say the least. The show opened up with Jukebox The Ghost. They were incredible.

The a cappella group was good, but this f*cking lady kept complaining about them behind me and was loud as shit. She couldn't stand the fact that Ben didn't come out after Jukebox.

Anyway, Ben came out, bottle of BEER in hand and opened the show.

He ended up accidently spilling the beer after the first or second song because he kicked his foot back.

Set list was pretty standard.

He told the story about how The Luckiest came about, and how it was for a movie, etc. But then he said that after singing it all these years, he finally understands it. So he said after all these dedications to everybody over the years, he wanted to dedicate the song to his wife.

He played Sentimental Guy, which was a nice touch.

Some idiot kept yelling for Emaline when Ben was trying to tell everyone about how he has a cold..and his voice keeps cracking. He told us that he would have cancelled any other show, but Nashville was special.

He named his cat after Alice Childress.

The first time he ever played Underground was at 12th and Porter in Nashville in 1993.

He improved a song after someone told him to sing happy birthday. It was awesome.

I'm sure there was other things, but overall good show.

Offline Allison

Re: Ryman Auditorium 4-7-09
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
95% of it is LIES.

I'm just kidding. But you never knew what he's bullshitting and what he's not.

Man, Sentimental Guy's been trucking for almost a month now. Okay, three weeks? Here I thought it was a one off thing. Perhaps I've helped him rekindle his love for a great f*ckin song.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Seth

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:41:13 PM »
I really wish I would've had the money/time to be at this one.  Sadness.  It's going to be a while now before I get to see him again.
The-artist-formerly-known-as-crimsontide029

http://www.last.fm/user/crimsontide029

Offline Allison

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »

Offline MikePigneguy (Kipp)

• Music is good.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »
http://musiccitytv.com/2009/04/07/ben-folds-molds-college-minds-before-tonights-show/

Look what "a good dude" Ben apparently is.

I'm glad they said "Ben Folds (Brick)".  I would've never figured out who he was without that!
Haha
Life is "Oh my God, if I tell him, he'll tell her, and then she will know I like her!"

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »
Here I thought he was that Bitches guy!

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
I really wish I would've had the money/time to be at this one.  Sadness.  It's going to be a while now before I get to see him again.
me too ::(
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 03:49:55 AM »
Good recap, but you forgot to mention the guy getting kicked out! 

Here is the set list as I tried to record it --- but someone mentioned Sentimental Guy, but I don't recall him performing that.

1. Bitch Went Nuts
2. Effington
3. Annie Waits
4. Happy Birthday (improv song) - Someone in the crowd asked Ben to sing happy birthday to him. Not your typical Happy Birthday song.
5. Alice Childress
6. Free Coffee
7. Lovesick Diagnostician
8. Dr. Yang
9. Hiroshima
10. Bastard
11. Fred Jones Part 2
12. Lullaby
13. The Luckiest
14. Landed
15. You Don't Know Me
16. Not The Same
17. Rocking the Suburbs
18. Army
19. Narcolepsy
20. Fair
21. Zak and Sara
22. Underground
23. Kate

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »
^  Yeah, Sentimental Guy was song #6...in between Alice Childress and Lovesick Diagnostician.  (and according to my set list, Free Coffee was on down, after his solo set...)

And why did that guy get kicked out, I wonder?  It was interesting, but I never found out what was up with that dude...

Offline celinabee

• i like to eat the sandwich.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:03:32 PM »
we were a few rows in front of him. i think that he was standing in the aisle and refused to sit down, so they called security over and the guy still refused to move or leave? and proceeded to argue with the security people. it all happened during lullabye, which is a shame, because that was one of my favorites!

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »
Yeah it was interesting.  On the main floor people were confused about whether to stand or not.  Most of the show everyone in the center and on the right side of auditorium stood, and everyone on the left sat (except for me and a couple others).  Then everyone sat for the solo songs except for that one guy who refused and eventually got kicked out.  They stood again when the band came back but then half sat down for Narcolepsy...but then stood up again when they realized it wasn't a quiet song.   And then of course everyone including the left side stood up for the encore.

At the beginning of the show I noticed that Ben had a fake fist on his piano.  After Lullaby Ben was asking what all the commotion was (regarding the guy getting kicked out).  He said, "I don't want to be the only one here that doesn't know what’s going on."  I'm not sure if he ever really figured out what was going on but all of a sudden he stepped on a pedal under his piano and the middle finger of the fist rose.  It was comical.

While the only guy standing may not have been 100% in the right, it was too bad that the crowd around him added to the distraction.  I was on the opposite side of the auditorium and I heard someone yell, “Sit the hell down!”  in the middle of Lullaby.  Additionally the 3 ushers around him also probably blocked people’s view.  My general rule of thumb for seated shows is to stand for all songs with the band, and if the crowd sits for the solo songs I go along with it.  If anyone asks me to sit down I usually do because I’ve been to a lot of shows so I don’t want to ruin anyone else’s experience.
I know it's Pit.

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
Also...Here is my setlist with Sentimental guy and Free Coffee:

Bitch went nutz
Effington
Annie waits
Happy birthday
Alice Childress
Sentimental guy
Lovesick Diagnostician
Dr. Yang
Hiroshima
Bastard
Fred jones pt. 2
Lullaby
Luckiest
Free coffee
Landed
You don't know me
Not the same
Rockin the suburbs
Army
Narcolepsy
Fair
Zak and sara
Underground
Kate
I know it's Pit.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:11:16 AM »
Thanks man.

I was next section over from the guy that got tossed.  He wouldn't just sit down when asked (he and his three friends were the only ones in the whole place standing during the solos) and started mouthing. 

Ben's little hand thing was FUNNY!

Offline NKR89

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »
man! that all makes sense now. I was wondering what the hell that whole Ben thing was with the flipping off. I was on the balcony, so I didn't get to see much. hahaha. the pedal was too funny.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »
Yeah it was interesting.  On the main floor people were confused about whether to stand or not.  Most of the show everyone in the center and on the right side of auditorium stood, and everyone on the left sat (except for me and a couple others).  Then everyone sat for the solo songs except for that one guy who refused and eventually got kicked out.  They stood again when the band came back but then half sat down for Narcolepsy...but then stood up again when they realized it wasn't a quiet song.   And then of course everyone including the left side stood up for the encore.

At the beginning of the show I noticed that Ben had a fake fist on his piano.  After Lullaby Ben was asking what all the commotion was (regarding the guy getting kicked out).  He said, "I don't want to be the only one here that doesn't know what’s going on."  I'm not sure if he ever really figured out what was going on but all of a sudden he stepped on a pedal under his piano and the middle finger of the fist rose.  It was comical.

While the only guy standing may not have been 100% in the right, it was too bad that the crowd around him added to the distraction.  I was on the opposite side of the auditorium and I heard someone yell, “Sit the hell down!”  in the middle of Lullaby.  Additionally the 3 ushers around him also probably blocked people’s view.  My general rule of thumb for seated shows is to stand for all songs with the band, and if the crowd sits for the solo songs I go along with it.  If anyone asks me to sit down I usually do because I’ve been to a lot of shows so I don’t want to ruin anyone else’s experience.

I told someone to sit down during Fred Jones.