Way to Normal book?

• 19 Replies

Offline JonahRank

Way to Normal book?
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:45:49 PM »
Has anyone heard any news that a Way to Normal sheet music book is in the works? I enjoy having these books around... and if they do release it, I'd love it to have all of the instrument parts a la the BFF books... not just the piano a la the BF books so far...
http://www.jonahrank.com - personal website

http://www.oholiav.com - Viewing Arts & Entertainment Through a Jewish Lens

Re: Way to Normal book?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
I was actually wondering this too. How long does it usually take for a book to come out after a CD has been released?

Offline cadet_applesauce

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:42:12 AM »
I'm not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure that transcribing piano takes a ton more time than tabbing out stuff for guitar. But maybe I'm totally wrong. If it's any indication, I was in Guitar Center the other day and they already had the Death Magnetic guitar tab book. WTN and that album came out at around the same time, so....
I NEED THE JACKSON CANNERY 7"!!!!

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:39:07 AM »
It also depends on demand.

Anyway - getting those stems will really help the fan transcriptions - especially those damn synths on 'You Don't Know Me' :D

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »
There are sheets already up on http://www.musicnotes.com/features/artists/ben_folds/

Does that mean the sheets are already out? I can't find it anywhere else.

Offline Euan

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 07:41:44 AM »
Would've expected it out by now personally.  Silverman was out pretty sharpish, was just a nightmare trying to get a copy in the uk for a while. WAEA book is now winging its way to complete my collection.

Offline Fromasta Flex

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
Ever since I laid eyes on the "official" book transcription of Ascent of Stan I've been terrified to ever purchase BF sheet music again...
Currently writing my first album....hopefully will record it soon.

Offline J-dog

• How many of me would it take to screw up your life
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:29:35 PM »
why is that?
J-diggity

Offline Fromasta Flex

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but it seems completely wrong as to what Ben actually plays, and seems impossible to play it the book's way.   ???

Offline J-dog

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 03:04:46 AM »
I know what your talking about, but its just arranged wrong. The RIGHT hand plays the D's, While the LEFT hand is playing G Bb D Bb G Bb D Bb all as eighth notes (quavers). You still need a large hand span to play it comfortably though.
But the whole RtS book is not just transcribed for piano, but for all the recognisable notes from several instruments. The left hand plays the bass notes while the right hand plays the "famous" piano bits + synths and brass and so on. If anyone understands me, please help me in explaining.
J-diggity

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »
I've noticed that too. It takes all the necessary parts of any instrument and puts it in the piano transcription so that the song still sounds right. If I remember correctly, in Zak and Sara they put the drum fill at the beginning on the left hand.

Offline Fromasta Flex

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
I totally get what you mean, I guess it's just personal taste.  I'd rather learn to play what the man himself plays, rather than an arrangement where every necessary part is covered.  But I think we can all agree that the Stan arrangement is just awful.  Makes me want to rewrite one myself and send it somewhere...

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:52 AM »
I prefer that too. That is why I like the transcriptions here, and the BFF books that have the full score

Offline J-dog

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »
If I remember correctly, in Zak and Sara they put the drum fill at the beginning on the left hand.
Yes it has the drum fills transcribed to piano in a couple of the songs im pretty sure.

I prefer that too. That is why I like the transcriptions here

I agree with you there! Our transcriptions rock!! Especially the ones by that Jdog kid. You should check sum of his out!
J-diggity

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »
There are sheets already up on http://www.musicnotes.com/features/artists/ben_folds/

Does that mean the sheets are already out? I can't find it anywhere else.

Along with Folds classics like "Xxxxxes Ain't Xxxx."