squishy squishy

• 196 Replies

Offline jessieleigh

Re: squishy squishy
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
my steinway is upright and i love it. the sound is just amazing. its been in the fam for yearsssss.... according to my grandmother its over 100 years old. and when i say mine... i mean it actually belongs to my parents, but seriously im the one who plays it the most and yeah theyve decided to will it to me, so i definitely understand   :)

right now we need to get the f fixed. broken f. very important key you see

« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »
Glad to know I'm not alone here. That F is HIGHLY important, I completely sympathize.

Of course, my issue with the piano growing up was that there were these little elastic thingies about halfway down the hammer action that would pull the hammer back and dampen the strings at the same time, and they would break, leaving their respective note to sustain even if the pedal wasn't down. We've replaced them all since, so no prob now, but it would suck to play a song that used the G (under middle C) or A(b) (two octaves up). All the other notes would stop, but there were those two that just rangggggggggggg. I had this one Herbie Hanc*ck song that used those notes practically every other chord. Damn jazz!

Offline jessieleigh

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2008, 05:53:54 AM »
see a couple years ago i had a similar problem; the g right above middle c made this horrible dull thumping noise instead of ringing out, i think the string may have been snapped, not sure, and then once i had pressed it, the key wuold stick down, and the i would go to press it again, resulting in no sound. it sucked. i think the same thing might have happened a while ago with the f below middle c (which is the broken one right now). but our piano tuner is an awesome 85 years old italian man. love him.

this thread has been turned completely towards piano mechanics, whoops

« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2008, 06:40:56 AM »
I saw a piano once.

« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
...but our piano tuner is an awesome 85 years old italian man. love him.

this thread has been turned completely towards piano mechanics, whoops

haha, my piano turner was this fat old bald German guy who had a VERY thick accent. I think he passed away recently... since the iPhone has all this new guitar tuning software, they should make one to tune a full piano... I'd use it.

Haha, hey, it's fine if we change the subject off of my recording... keeps people from asking when I'm gonna get it done...

I saw a piano once.

Me too... and I f*ckin' ROCKED it.

Offline jessieleigh

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
I saw a piano once.

be that as it may, have you seen one with only 85 keys? apparently for some strange reason my piano doesnt have the standard 88 keys!

Haha, hey, it's fine if we change the subject off of my recording... keeps people from asking when I'm gonna get it done...

and take your time. no rush, we're patient.  :)

Offline Ootini

• Sandcrawler II - Assistant Manager
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2008, 08:53:31 AM »
My parents have a 73 key piano. Runs from F to F too.

« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »
Free Coffee is unlistenable in the car thanks to all the background crap going on

Offline jessieleigh

« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2008, 04:33:24 PM »
My parents have a 73 key piano. Runs from F to F too.

foo' serious? what kind? upright, grand...?

and personally i can't listen to free coffee or dr. yang on headphones because they are so full of distortion/fuzz

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »
I have a needledrop.  It will be finished uploading to Megaupload in V0 mp3 (from a 24bit FLAC vinyl rip) within the hour.  It was not made by me, but I managed to locate one.  It only has one real error (a skip partway through Hiroshima) but is fine other than the occasional surface noise.

Because of the errors and curiousity (this version seems to be lacking some high end, but its a raw rip and at least one other listener has said that's just the quality of the vinyl mix)  I would still like to hear Davis's rip for comparison purposes.  But until then, this one is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over the CD.

:)

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
I have a needledrop.  It will be finished uploading to Megaupload in V0 mp3 (from a 24bit FLAC vinyl rip) within the hour.  It was not made by me, but I managed to locate one.  It only has one real error (a skip partway through Hiroshima) but is fine other than the occasional surface noise.

Because of the errors and curiousity (this version seems to be lacking some high end, but its a raw rip and at least one other listener has said that's just the quality of the vinyl mix)  I would still like to hear Davis's rip for comparison purposes.  But until then, this one is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over the CD.

:)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Thank goodness someone got one out early.

Mine is taking forever because I'm being a hi-fi nerd about it. For a while, I was actually going to each crackle peak and shrinking it by hand. Then I realized that Ben would probably have a new album out by the time I was done if I kept it up.

I also had two weddings to be at, two weekends in a row. And both times, I had to take care of a completely sloshed/hungover girlfriend. *sigh*

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
It...is finished.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=310RFGYC

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
thanks for tracking this down.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
Mine is taking forever because I'm being a hi-fi nerd about it. For a while, I was actually going to each crackle peak and shrinking it by hand.

I can get behind that.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline MongrelPiano

« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
Thank you, Ziggy and Davis!