Poll

What's in your opinion the best Ben Folds solo release (including live albums, EPs and compilations)?

Fear of Pop Volume 1
Rockin' the Suburbs
Speed Graphic
Sunny 16
Super D
Songs For Silverman
Supersunnyspeedgraphic, the LP
Way To Normal
Ben Folds Live
Songs For Goldfish
The Bens

Best BEN FOLDS SOLO release?

• 4 Replies
Best BEN FOLDS SOLO release?
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:07:52 AM »
Hi folks, time for a new poll. This time it deals with Ben's solo efforts. What's his best one in your opinion and why?

I guess my favourite is Songs For Silverman because I think it's his most mature one. I took some time til I got behind it but now I really love it, especially because of "Late" and "Prison Food".

Re: Best BEN FOLDS SOLO release?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:46:20 AM »
Sunny 16 BARELY edges out Rockin' the Suburbs for me. I really can't explain why. It just sums up what I like best about Ben Folds. It IS missing a track that mentions specific names (Alice, Summer, etc.), but it still has the "music video" track (Someone Cooler), the "introspective" track (Live With Who You Are), the "social commentary" track (All You Can Eat... his best one ever, honestly... love this song), the "what the hell is wrong with you/these people" track (Rock Star), and a cover track thrown in (Songs of Love).

Too bad he didn't make a video of "There's Always Someone Cooler Than You"... it would've been a good follow-up to "RtS" (instead, he did his pirate thing with "Learn to Live"). And I have to say that I didn't like the production changes he made to everything on SSSG. Kinda foreshadowed the problems I had with "Way To Normal."

Offline cadet_applesauce

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:38:48 AM »
Chose Ben Folds Live because I love the bareness of it all. It's Ben and the songs he wrote, nothing else (well, except for some crowd chanting and sing alongs). Plus it's a live record, so the songs span his whole career. I really wish I were listening to Ben when he did this tour. It would've been my most favorite, ever.
I NEED THE JACKSON CANNERY 7"!!!!

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:08:17 AM »
Fear of Pop and RTS have the most life and soul to it out of anything else solo.

Offline Allison

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »
I love FoP, but, I voted RtS cause it's got more of the heart wrenching "typically" folds tracks. But on the flip side, Silverman doesn't have the dynamic differences RtS has. And I haven't really thoroughly processed Normal to even fill it in the continuum of folds records.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!